NL 4 Beta 7

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
tobybunny

NL 4 Beta 7

Post by tobybunny » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:06 pm

I know you are not supposed to post beta 4 problems here but seeing as the link to take you to beta 4 threads is broken I see no alternative.
For some reason my media downloads ( any video or mp3 file ) is being downloaded to the following hidden folder path
AppData/Roaming/NewsLeecher
and when the download is complete, Newsleecher is automatically activating the default media player to play the file . if I then close this file , it diappears from the hidden folder.
Am I the only one with this bug ? It doesn't happen with rar files , only uncompressed media file downloads.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:43 am

You are using the Open/Read command (or Enter key) which will download
and open the files immediately with the associated application. This is
normally used for reading a text posting or previewing an image file and
obviously not to be used for downloading zip/rar files of an archive.

Instead, you need to use one of the Leech modes which will download the
files and save them.

You can read about the different leech modes at
viewtopic.php?p=20685#20685
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

tobybunny

Post by tobybunny » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:36 am

Thanks but what I don't understand is why this has been secretly changed by Newsleecher Beta 4.7 is it a known bug ?

I have upgraded from v 3.9 final where I never had that problem and it appears as soon as the upgrade is complete ( I haven't used any hot keysor or changed anything within the program ) it has decided to make this change itself.

I also can't find anything in the panel of options to redirect or change this setting and the program is unresponsive to any hot key commands I try to issue with the keyboard.

However I did finally find a fix which is to redirect the download folder to the same folder already listed in the options - seems a bit dumb but this stops the problem from happening.

There is a bug in that if you upgrade to 4.7 from a previous release and have the download folder settings automatically imported , it will stream media files without downloading them to the folder specified. You have to repoint the browser to the same download folder for it to download correctly.

tobybunny

Post by tobybunny » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:44 am

edit : nope it does not work - has reappeared again and is now streaming mp3s wav and avi files etc through windows media player as soon as download is completed and is not downloading them to the default download folder - how do I get this version of the program to stop doing this ? It is driving me nuts ! i can find no options to correct this problem.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:55 am

The Enter key in previous versions would download but not open. Now it downloads and opens immediately. You need to use use one of the leech modes to download and save.
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

tobybunny

Post by tobybunny » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:58 am

thanks for replying but from what I understand - I have to use hotkeys to set the leech mode ?
Leech (CTRL-D): Standard download mode.
because the program is unresponsive to any of the leech modes i try and enter via the keyboard.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:52 am

You don't have to use the hotkey. You can right click on the files and select the Leech option you want.

Not sure why the control-D key wouldn't be working for you. All the Leech mode shortcut keys work fine for me. Do you have any key macro software that could be getting in the way?