4.0b13 Unable to Extract Archive

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
osyk

4.0b13 Unable to Extract Archive

Post by osyk » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:14 pm

NewsLeecher sometimes says "Unable to Extract Archive" when attempting to extract certain RAR files. I think that I've discovered the reason:

If the RAR archive consists of multiple files of the form:

foo.part01.rar
foo.part02.rar
foo.part03.rar

rather than multiple files of the form:

foo.rar
foo.r01
foo.r02
foo.r03

then NewsLeecher is unable to extract.

Interestingly enough, the above "foo.part01.rar" can be opened fine through the WinRAR UI. However, if you attempt to open the archive with WinRAR from the command line with:

winrar.exe x foo.part01.rar c:\temp\

then that fails as well, giving a "No archives found" error.

I'm guessing that archives of the form "*.part??.rar" need special handling.

osyk

Post by osyk » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:27 am

I discovered that using wildcards on the command line will allow WinRAR to extract files of this pattern:

winrar.exe x foo.part??.rar c:\temp\

I'm not sure if NewsLeecher needs to do something similar. However, I did discover another possible clue to the NewsLeecher problem along the way: the archive that I was dealing with had a special character in its name "&", like this:

foo&bar.part01.rar
foo&bar.part02.rar

another program that I was dealing with didn't like this character, and converted it into a space, causing other problems. I'm not sure if this would apply to NewsLeecher as well.

Thoreau

Same story different issue.

Post by Thoreau » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:15 pm

I have a similar issue with the repair/extract. It will hang on 0% verify and then lock the whole damn process. I can't stop the process. I can't remove the process that's in verify. It's held, and can't do sTuff else.

Repair and extract used to not have these issues with earlier releases. It seems somebody got cute with a command and didn't think 1 step ahead.

Newsleecher v4 B13. Please unscrew what you have screwed. Thanks.

osyk

4.0b14 Unable to Extract Archive

Post by osyk » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:16 pm

I got this again with 4.0b14. The log has this error message, which occurred immediately before the extraction attempt:

2:55:06 PM ThreadPR Error(121): Access violation at address 00574DEB in module 'newsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 00000017

I was able to successfully open this archive with WinRAR.

This archive also has the "*.part0??.rar" file pattern mentioned above.

osyk

Post by osyk » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:10 am

I tried to extract this archive from the command line with WinRAR, and it was not able to extract. It complained that the path was too long (260 chars was the maximum stated).

When I shortened the name of the containing directory, I was able to extract with WinRAR from the command line.

Perhaps NewsLeecher has a similar path length limit?

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:30 am

NewsLeecher has this limit because it is a limitation of Windows.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

gregory2015

Re: 4.0b13 Unable to Extract Archive

Post by gregory2015 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:59 pm

I am using Long Path Tool software for such errors, and it works like charm.