NL V4.0 final - Leech paused does not work with par2

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
jthurtell

NL V4.0 final - Leech paused does not work with par2

Post by jthurtell » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:04 am

When selecting a multipart message with a par2, and then selecting "Leech Paused" the par2 is immediately downloaded (presumably because of its small size). The rest of the message is added to the queue as paused, however with repair and extract enabled the message parts are un-paused as required and downloaded immediately.

Therefore, I think repair and extract has a higher priority than leech paused!

I am uncertain but I think this first appeared in one of the last 4.0 release candidates - (23 or 24)

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:08 am

Yes NewsLeecher is configured and behaves like you stated.

In the Settings>Download>Leech Tweaks screen is the "PAR2 Quick Download" option which will put the par2 index file at the top of the queue and unpause it. This will allow it to be added to the RnE list.

In the Settings>Repair / Extract screen is the "Dl. Queue Auto Unpausing" option which will automatically unpause files in the download queue if they are needed to repair the archive in the RnE list.

Turn off one of these options and they will remain paused when you are using Leech Pause.

I'm guessing that you were asking for files that were added with Leech Paused to never be unpaused by these 2 options. I don't think that will happen as it conflicts with the "Auto Unpause" feature of RnE. Also it would be mean more info about the download queue would need to be tracked. Like if each article was paused by the pause button at the top or by Leech Paused option.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Nonymous666

Re: NL V4.0 final - Leech paused does not work with par2

Post by Nonymous666 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:03 pm

jthurtell wrote:When selecting a multipart message with a par2, and then selecting "Leech Paused" the par2 is immediately downloaded (presumably because of its small size). The rest of the message is added to the queue as paused, however with repair and extract enabled the message parts are un-paused as required and downloaded immediately.

Therefore, I think repair and extract has a higher priority than leech paused!
Yeah, this has been bugging me, too. I liked the old way before it 'broke'. You could add a bunch of stuff to the queue and it would stay paused while you added more. Once you were read to start downloading it all, you could just select all the small par2 files at the top of the queue and then unpause them and R&R would just start downloading and extract it all.
I am uncertain but I think this first appeared in one of the last 4.0 release candidates - (23 or 24)
It appeared in beta 24. I'm staying at beta 23 because of this.

Nonymous666

Post by Nonymous666 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Smudge wrote:I'm guessing that you were asking for files that were added with Leech Paused to never be unpaused by these 2 options. I don't think that will happen as it conflicts with the "Auto Unpause" feature of RnE. Also it would be mean more info about the download queue would need to be tracked. Like if each article was paused by the pause button at the top or by Leech Paused option.
It always worked the old way for what seems like forever. It only changed its behavior to the current way in 4.0 beta 24, so it seems like there's some way to do it since, well, it once did it.

jthurtell

Post by jthurtell » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:04 pm

Thanks for posting support info Nonymous 66

I've been trying to revert my version but had deleted the beta download :(

More info:-

Once the download is started - selecting the queue entry and pausing will (eventually) pause the queue but the part that was previously queued remains "Queued" (even though downloading has stopped). This is minor (seperate?) fault in its own right. Downloading is paused but the part still shows "Queued".

To resume the download you have to select the full queue entry (not just the part), which un-pauses everything (including ALL par2s) :?

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:47 am

I have been wondering about this too, so I decided to come check the forums so see if anyone else had noticed.

I definitely preferred the old "broken" way much better.

If I choose to put something in the Pause filter: Subject option that I want that to take priority over the RnE unpausing par2 files. I mean if you don't want things to be paused you wouldn't put them in there!

Is there perhaps a way to put this in the Nerdy Tweaks that allows one to have priority over the other?

Thanks for reading,
Sabrina

Nonymous666

Post by Nonymous666 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:06 pm

Any possibility of getting this 'fixed' in v5.0? Perhaps by way of an Advanced Tweak or something?

I'm still 'stuck' at v4.0 beta 23 because of this.

Nonymous666

FIXED!

Post by Nonymous666 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:33 pm

This seems to have been fixed in the latest beta for 5.0 (beta 14).

I read in a couple things in the history log for beta 14 making it sound like this was fixed, so I installed it and tried it out. I can confirm that it's working again. Woo hoo!

Thanks you devs!