NL long save path error Code 3 The system cannot find the file specified errors

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
Chris777

NL long save path error Code 3 The system cannot find the file specified errors

Post by Chris777 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Version: 4.0 Final
Operating System w/ Service Pack Version: Windows 7 64bit Ultimate w/ SP1
Installation Method: Full Install
Type of Installation: Registered copy
Number of Servers: 1
List your provider(s)? UsenetServer
List of antivirus/firewall software installed: None
Connections per server: 10
Server priority: 1

Description:
Hit Leech>Smart from SuperSearch to download a post. NewsLeecher downloads all of the files but leaves them all in the temp folder as it cant save them to the file system as the resulting length would be too long. When you close NL it deletes the temp folder and your download seems to have disappeared wasting your, possibly limited, Usenet server bandwidth, ISP bandwidth and time.

From testing it seems that if you select a post that has a title that is longer than 260 characters long NL will check and let you know. However this check does not check the resulting FULL save path of the post. Simply have it check both and this bug would be fixed.

LogFile:
One of these lines in the log file for each file that can’t be saved.
9:58:20 AM !Save Thread Error !! <System Error. Code: 3.
The system cannot find the path specified>

capntripz

Long File Names

Post by capntripz » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:41 am

Definitely a pain in the butt. I get around it by creating an NZB of the files I want and then feeding that to NL. Also put your "Downloads" directory just below the root (c:\downloads). The path adds into this problem, so if you put the "Downloads" directory 4 deep from the root, then those path characters add up (C:\xxxxxxx\xxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxx\Downloads). It is the only way around the problem that I know of. When you create the NZB you can significantly shorten the name (folder name to download into.) I don't understand why NL doesn't truncate the names (not popular but the other consequences suck more.) An even better question is why do they post those incredible file names when they know they won't work? Has Usenet become a billboard for advertising using the file names? Between passworded files and trojans, it's hard to have a good time anymore.

Best of luck to ya,
The Captain

EthanGreg

Long Path Tool

Post by EthanGreg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:44 pm

I had the similar problem and faced it a lot of times. I often solve this type of problems using "Long Path Tool". Try it and it may surely help you.

capntripz

Re: Long Path Tool

Post by capntripz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:45 am

EthanGreg wrote:I had the similar problem and faced it a lot of times. I often solve this type of problems using "Long Path Tool". Try it and it may surely help you.
I looked around for that tool and it took to some relatively malicious sites. If you have used something and it works in the background, I am sure a lot of us would like to know more about it and where to obtain it.

Thanx,
Capn.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:43 am

Deleted the blatant spam selling a program, and I'll counter it with a free utility that does the same: http://www.parhelia-tools.com
Please note: I am NOT official newsleecher support.

gregory2015

Re: NL long save path error Code 3 The system cannot find th

Post by gregory2015 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:47 am

I am using a software called Long Path Tool for such errors and it is working like charm, i have no problems in copying or extracting anything anywhere.