Throws error every time you first click on Supersearch results

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
POD

Throws error every time you first click on Supersearch results

Post by POD »

Version: 5 Beta 13/14/15
Operating System w/ Service Pack Version: Windows 7 SP1
Installation Method: Full
Type of Installation: Beta or Registered - Both, I'm registers, and using a beta, what does that tell you?
Number of Servers: 1
List your provider(s)? Astraweb
List of antivirus/firewall software installed: Kaspersky
Connections per server: 15
Server priority: N/A

Bug Description:
The first time you click on the results of a supersearch you get this error.

Has been doing it for the last 3 betas: I use to report this all the time, and then you removed the ability to report bugs from the app...

Log File Contents:

Bug Data1:
BGEXP_1234

Bug Data2:
Access violation at address 0058C795 in module 'newsLeecher.exe'.
Read of address 0000000D

jimpdx

Yep, I get this same bug all the time

Post by jimpdx »

It's been in the code for at least a year. I wish they'd finally fix the damn thing. It pops up, as you describe, almost every time after first clicking on a Supersearch result - which is very frequently.

doozer

Re: Yep, I get this same bug all the time

Post by doozer »

jimpdx wrote:It's been in the code for at least a year. I wish they'd finally fix the damn thing. It pops up, as you describe, almost every time after first clicking on a Supersearch result - which is very frequently.
Agreed. Hard to believe a bug like this is still in a release candidate.

This bug happens about 90% of the time I use super search.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

It's a strange bug. From the automated bug reports that we receive, I can see that a few NL users get it frequently, while most never see it it.

I haven't been able to reproduce the bug myself. No matter what I try to trigger the bug, it doesn't work. So if you can provide more information that in some way might help tracking it down, please let me know. For example, does it go away if you turn off certain NewsLeecher settings ? Does it only happen under a specific OS version ?
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

jimpdx

Post by jimpdx »

Doesn't "Allow Anonymous Bug reporting To Developer" send you our program settings?

Durkie

Post by Durkie »

I'm getting this exception a lot, and maybe it has something to do with virtual groups. It seems that if I do a SS and click on an entry that's in a newsgroup contained in a virtual group, I get this error.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

jimpdx wrote:Doesn't "Allow Anonymous Bug reporting To Developer" send you our program settings?
I am sure it does but as per the message, it will probably remove a lot of information for privacy reasons as well as information that is unlikely to be the cause.
Please note: I am NOT official newsleecher support.

jimpdx

Post by jimpdx »

Besides perhaps specific newsgroup subscriptions or server connections, why would program settings have to be removed for privacy?

If the developers collected most settings from the Setup dialog, they would be able to more accurately pinpoint the conditions under which errors occur, without users having to perform tiresome experimenting and troubleshooting with different program settings. So I'd like to know if the developers are collecting these settings.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

jimpdx wrote:Besides perhaps specific newsgroup subscriptions or server connections, why would program settings have to be removed for privacy?

If the developers collected most settings from the Setup dialog, they would be able to more accurately pinpoint the conditions under which errors occur, without users having to perform tiresome experimenting and troubleshooting with different program settings. So I'd like to know if the developers are collecting these settings.
No settings at all are sent to us at the moment. The only data we get, is what you see and write in the bug reporting dialog that pops up.

Most bugs are fixable with the help of the limited data we currently get. But this specific bug is especially tough to get around for some reason.

If you wouldn't mind sharing your setup.dat NewsLeecher settings file, please send it to our support team through the website. Then I'll check it with NewsLeecher as soon as I get it, to see if it helps me trigger the bug.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

jimpdx

Post by jimpdx »

Spiril,

I just sent the file. Your web platform doesn't even allow sending files with .dat extension, so I had to rename it to setup.doc. Sheesh!

Thanks for looking into this.

Jim Miller

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Thanks for the setup file.

I still can't trigger the bug though. Tried everything.

If you close down NewsLeecher, delete the setup.dat file and re-launch NewsLeecher afterwards, does the bug still show up ?

Also, what OS do you run NL under ? Do you run NL on several computers ? - If so, does the bug show on all of them ?

jimpdx

Fixed finally

Post by jimpdx »

It looks like beta 18.2 has finally nailed it. This is a relief to me, since I've had to click away that error dialog literally thousands of times.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Good to hear : ) - Thanks for testing.