Text display bug in v5 RC1

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
Sunfox

Text display bug in v5 RC1

Post by Sunfox »

For the longest time I've been using v5 beta 4 because it worked just fine for me. Now that I've updated to RC1, I'm seeing some text display bugs that are likely related to the fact that I'm using "large" system fonts in Windows 7 (125%) although the problem will likely be the same for any Windows version with the same setting.

Basically, I can see the problem in two places.

First, the font size on the Repair and Extract tab is too large, so that the number of sets queued or finished can never show properly.

Second, Super Search's "days to search" dropdown has had its line spacing reduced over other drop-downs (to fit in more lines, I assume), and this both cuts off the bottom of numbers, and results in odd highlighting glitches.

I should point out that neither of these problems happened in beta 4 on the same system font setting.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

Try pressing CTRL+0

Failing this ... Toolsbox > Settings > advanced nerdy tweaks > FILTER "Size" > adjust to default value of 9 (if it is not).
Please note: I am NOT official newsleecher support.

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

CTRL+0 did nothing, and there is nothing called "filter size" in nerdy tweaks. There are only 3 things with the word filter: paranoia clear, SS number of entries, and width of the SS box.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

filter "size", not "filter size" :-)

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

Now if you mean "Listview Font Size", which is the only option with the word "size" in it, then yes I customized that to 10.

To test I changed it back to 9, restarted, and the change does not affect the issues I'm seeing at all.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

I suspect this will require a change from Spiril in order to get this to look OK. Unfortunately it is not the only program that will misbehave when the font size is adjusted in Windows.

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

Agreed, a lot of software over past decades has blindly ignored the fact that users can change system font size, but rarely professional software (at least beyond the first version), and with NL, even as recently as earlier v5 betas it was working fine.

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

Okay... wanted to point out that the "text in tab" sizing issue has been corrected in Beta 17... although the issue with the days drop-down continues as before.

Bags

Post by Bags »

NL is not on it's own. This has happened for years in XP with certain GUI panels and 'large' font setting in display setup.

I suppose a standard font size and smaller desktop in out of the question for you?

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

Run an LCD at a non-native resolution? That seems like a bad idea. Also, Windows has come a long way since those days, and with Accessibility a big part of Windows 7/8, I would suggest that software should endeavor to work properly with system font size / DPI settings, versus users being expected to make potentially impossible compromises.

The problem here as I see it, is that the software is calling for a SPECIFIC POINT SIZE for the font, but is only giving it a SPECIFIC PIXEL-BASED LINE SIZE in the drop-down.

So, for example, it wants a 10 point font and will give it 15 pixels of vertical space to display.

The problem with that, is when the system's DPI is set to something other than the stock value that the programmer is using, the font is too big for the amount of space. The solution is either to vary the drop-down size in order to accomodate tha larger font (the best solution for accessibility, although the rest of the software tends to ignore that), or to also specify the font size in pixels, guaranteeing a specific visual result.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Sunfox,

Try to download this unofficial forum test and see if it helps :
http://www.newsleecher.com/nl50018uft1.exe
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

Bags

Post by Bags »

Yes Sunfox .. I did not mean you to change Res. Just try standard font size if possible, although it affects 'perceived' desktop and gui sizes.

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

Spiril wrote:Sunfox,

Try to download this unofficial forum test and see if it helps :
http://www.newsleecher.com/nl50018uft1.exe
Hi Spiril. Sorry for the late response - I don't check here that often.

Indeed, this does correct the issue! Screenshot attached.

The only minor issue I can note... for the short while when the software is loading, the days drop-down looks small, as in this screenshot, until it is populated:

I should probably point out one visual glitch you can see in these screenshots - do you notice how the tabs are positioned ABOVE the colored bar? This happens whenever I start up Newsleecher in maximized mode. However, if I then change to windowed mode, the tabs move down to touching the colored bar as I suspect they should, and if I go back to maximized they stay there. Just an odd little thing.
Last edited by Sunfox on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bags

Post by Bags »

My tabs are all in line with rest of toolbar items .. all the time.
Side effect of large fonts I suppose.
You can't always have it all.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

Yea I'm biased, but gotta say, round of applause to Spiril for tackling this.