Newsleecher Window Position

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
Intrance

Newsleecher Window Position

Post by Intrance »

Hey guys,

I've been using Newsleecher for a couple of years now without having much issues. At some point I started getting trouble with 3.9 getting stuck in minimized mode, requiring me to delete the settings file which somehow got corrupted or something. After upgrading to 5 (currently on beta 16) I've never had that specific problem again, but there is one problem remaining which is annoying the heck out of me.

Each time after closing NL and starting it at some later point, the window position will have moved up a bit. About 1,5x the height of the title bar.

I run Windows with the taskbar at the top of the screen, and after a while, the title bar from NL will get stuck under the taskbar. Easy fix is to click one of the borders of the window as if I want to resize, then let go, and it will snap to the bottom of the taskbar. Then I can move it around again.

However, the best thing would be if NL could just remember the window position correctly in the first place. This has been happening with 3.9 and 5, both under Windows 7 and 8, both 64-bit version. I thought it might have something to do with permissions or UAC getting in the way, but all files looked fine in terms of permissions and UAC on/off didn't make a difference.

Is this a known problem? I've searched for a couple of terms on the forum here, but couldn't find anything relating to my issue, but perhaps I've messed up my search.

Any help would be appreciated!

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Yes this is a known issue but hasn't been brought up in many years. I used to have the same issue when I ran with the taskbar at the top. It seems to be a problem in that the application asks Windows for the window position but it is not taking into account the taskbar at the top. Next time the app starts, it puts the window in the same position but Windows has 'removed' x number of pixels to make room for the taskbar. I saw it with a few other applications besides NewsLeecher so I ended up moving the bar back to the bottom. One trick to get around this is to set the taskbar to autohide. This allows the application to use the entire screen.

If you get in the situation where the window is offscreen, you can do the following to move it back so that you don't need to delete the settings file again.

- click on the app button in the taskbar so it is the frontmost app
- Press alt+space (this brings up the window controls menu)
- Press M (selects the Move menu entry)
- use the arrow keys to move the window back onto the screen (If it is completely off the screen, it will jump back to the screen after the first arrow keypress)
- press Enter to switch out of Move mode

You can then use the mouse to move it back into a good position. Quit NewsLeecher to save the position to the settings.

You can also switch to using NewsLeecher in maximized (full screen) mode and it will stay maximized between sessions. If you switch back to windowed mode, it might be off screen so follow the steps above to move it back.

I will also move this post to the bug report section so it can be addressed in a future version.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Please check this unofficial test release, and see if it fixes the problem for you:

http://www.newsleecher.com/nl50018uft3.exe
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.