NL downloads files then deletes without extracting

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
andersonjond

NL downloads files then deletes without extracting

Post by andersonjond »

This just started happening three days ago. I am using NL 5.0 Final. Please don't suggest to use NL 6.x beta. I tried the beta versions and it freezes frequently requiring me to use Task Manager to force it to end the process. I have made ZERO changes to my PC so please don't suggest it's some other program interfering with NL. I have up-to-date virus protection through Norton, so please don't suggest it's a virus.

OK - so now that we've gotten rid of all the un-useful suggestions, let me explain the problem.

I queue up a number of files to download. They are all listed OK in the queue and in the Extract Manager. Most of them download and get extracted just fine. Everything works as it has for the last few years. However, for SOME of them, NL will download the files and immediately delete them without extracting anything. Why is that?

This ONLY started happening three days ago (Sep-18-2013).

This ONLY happens with SOME files that have greeked filenames for the post.

I can successfully download the files in either of two ways:

(1) Turn off Extract Manager. After download I manually repair and extract the files.

(2) Leave Extract Manager on but only download the RARs to a specific folder location. Then separately download the PARs to a different folder. After everything is downloaded then manually move the PARs to the folder that has the RARs. Then select the first PAR from each file set and drag that onto the NL Extract Manager tab. NL will correctly make any repairs and will correctly extract the file.

I tend to use method (1) because method (2) is a major pain in the ass.

In addition, this is not an all-the-time thing. That is, sometimes NL will correctly download and extract the files with the greeked filenames.

Any ideas?

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

What does the Log say when this happens? It should tell you why it is removing the files.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

andersonjond

Post by andersonjond »

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I didn't think to look at the log. Of course, the information from that period is long gone, so I can't view it now.

I have been out of the country for a few weeks, so I have not been online for a long while. I just got back in town yesterday (25-Oct-2013). So I will try to catch up on Usenet and if this happens again then I will post some information about the log.

andersonjond

Post by andersonjond »

I think I might have some idea why some of this happens (sometimes). It just happened again.

I checked the log and here is what I found.

There were two posts with similar post subjects.

Post 1 subject:
as73ha7aha823ja93ja934aja8aj38aj292576 - "as73ha7aha823ja93ja934aja8aj38aj292576"

Post 2 subject:
as73ha7aha823ja93ja934aja8aj38aj292576 - "as73ha7aha823ja93ja934aja8aj38aj292577"

Note that they both have the same character set for the first part and they differ in the second part only by the very last character.

So when NL finished with Post 1, it apparently looked only at the first part of the subject lines and saw the match so it deleted all posts with that match, as evidenced by the following:

7:03:28 PM * Removing matching collection <as73ha7aha823ja93ja934aja8aj38aj292576 - "as73ha7aha823ja93ja934aja8aj38aj292576">
7:03:28 PM * Removing matching collection <as73ha7aha823ja93ja934aja8aj38aj292576 - "as73ha7aha823ja93ja934aja8aj38aj292577">

When it deleted the Post 2 (the one ending in 577) there were still six files left to download. I had to do a search and manually download those six files again.