Can't move or delete extracted file

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
Rex Havock

Can't move or delete extracted file

Post by Rex Havock » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:29 pm

I don't know if this is a Windows 8 problem or a Newsleecher problem. Occasionally (10% of the time) when I try and move a file which has been downloaded and extracted, I get the following windows error -"The action can't be completed because file is open in Windows Explorer". Even a system reboot doesn't clear the problem. The only work around that I've found is to close Explorer and delete the file from the DOS prompt.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:03 am

Sounds like a Windows issue. Try using something like Process Explorer to Find the open handle on that file and see what related process has the lock on it.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:22 pm

That is very unusual. Any 3rd party anti virus installed?
Please note: I am NOT official newsleecher support.

Rex Havock

Ahhh! They are all corrupt .MKV files

Post by Rex Havock » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:57 pm

I found an answer in the Microsoft forums. It turns out that all of the files that I have a problem with are .MKV files with the length and frame information missing. So it is likely Windows problem unless Newsleecher is somehow corrupting the MKV files when it extracts them.

I still have no easy way to delete them other than by closing Windows Explorer and deleting the files in DOS.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:38 am

Could be that Windows is trying to read the MKV file to build the thumbnail. If the MKV has missing info that Windows is expecting, it would cause it to take a long time to process the file, possibly never finishing. Since Windows Explorer is using the file, that is why it is locked and you can't delete it.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.