Supersearch: Unrelated split files being grouped incorrectly

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
Post Reply
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:33 am

Supersearch: Unrelated split files being grouped incorrectly

Post by Nypyren »

I'm using v6.5b2, but I don't know if this is a client or server side bug.

Recently I noticed that several of my supersearch results are much larger than expected. I examined the parts in one of them and saw:

filename.001: 52 megs
filename.002: 52 megs
(this goes on for a while)
filename.009: 5 megs
filename.010: 11 megs (what?)
filename.011: 11 megs
(this goes on for a few dozen more entries)

I examined the actual post by fetching the headers for the newsgroup it was posted to and noticed that only the usual 52 meg parts (plus part 009 which is smaller as expected) were posted there.

Then I found that a different poster had posted the *exact same filenames*, but with different part sizes (11 megs) to a different newsgroup.

It appears that Supersearch will sometimes incorrectly consider all of the parts to be parts of the same file-group even when a human would clearly consider them different sets.

In this particular case:
- The newsgroup the two batches were posted to were different.
- The poster name was different.
- The filenames were exactly the same, but the split sizes were different.

This is a relatively minor nuisance but a major waste of bandwidth...

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 10034
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:42 am

Post by Smudge »

Please send a PM to Spiril with the details of the search results so he can look into it.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Post Reply