NewsLeecher does not properly shut down

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
rustler

Post by rustler »

Paul2or3 wrote:Rustler, are you free of this problem still?
No. It still pops up, but not every time.

I just opened and closed it 15 times in succession and it opened each time. I tried some with connects and some without connecting to the server as well as trying supersearch and server searches. Seems it mostly does it after it has been opened for several hours..maybe because of something else I open while it is running..I will try to keep track of what I open while it is running.
Rustler

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

rustler wrote:
Paul2or3 wrote:Drivers are up to date. There were a couple of other people that posted on this thread that were having the same problem. I sure would like to hear from them, so we can compare and see what we all have in common.
Paul I have a 3.4ghz Pentium 4, 1 gig of memory, running XP, Norton AV, Norton Firewall, Microsoft anti-spyware..My task tray shows Mailwasher, Norton, MS Spyware, Roboform, AsusProbe, Logitech camera control, One touch scanner control...and of course Task Manager shows a ton of stuff that is associated with these programs.
Have you tried disabling MS anti-spyware to see if it resolves the issue?
(sorry for the late response, I was on vacation this week and just got home)

techfuzz

bluecatfish

Post by bluecatfish »

Seems to me that its your responsibility to get NL working properly. NL running in the background when closed using near 100% CPU? Turn off AV, FW, NIT, spywar, adware etc.? Open additional ports? Lets go swimming with the crocodiles too.
\oo/

rhawk301

NL freezing when connected, and using "audit" Supe

Post by rhawk301 »

I used Super Search, with the word "audit", and it gave a bug report, and then started acting really funny. I was connected to my NewsServer at the time. I then used some advice in this collumn, and disconnected from my NewsServer. NL stopped fairly promptly, and gave me control of my machine again.

I know there is definately a bug here somewhere. It is very possible bad headers, or news articles could be corrupting the stack, or somehow doing an overflow in the codebase somewhere.

For now, I guess I will not be search for the term "audit" until it is fixed. Can anyone else confirm they get a bug crash on that word?

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

I can confirm that NL gets bad results from SS when searching on "audit". This has happened before with other keywords.

Also, please don't hijack someone elses thread. Your problem doesn't have anything to do with the rest of this thread. Start your own thread or reply to another thread of the same problem.

rhawk301

hijack thread?

Post by rhawk301 »

No intention on hijacking. The word search thing, was just an example of something that totally hosed up my NewsLeecher, my CPU, and my running Windows until I killed NL manually.

I thought it was on topic. I will just be looking for the next version, hopefully this will be fixed, thats all. Just reporting what I see.

DevilsRejection

Post by DevilsRejection »

same thing happens to me with 2.3

DevilsRejection

Post by DevilsRejection »

I found my problem when I turn off hamachi then everything works!

xxxx4

Improper Shutdown

Post by xxxx4 »

I'm using NL 2.3 final on a pentium 775 machine with 2 gigs ddr2 ram and like the original poster am getting continuing instances of NL running in task manager, sometimes consuming 100% of my cpu.

What do I do?

I have no AV or FW software running in the background whatsoever?

Is the developer working on this issue or what? It seems like it's been around almost a year!!

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

xxx4: please email support@newsleecher.com a copy of your setup.dat file from your Newsleecher\data\ directory.

MrZapper61

Post by MrZapper61 »

Hi,
Try setting the "Your Internet Connection Maximum Download Speed" in "Connection/Speed" to "Automatic", this solved my "shutdown problems". :D

Gr,
MrZapper61.

crocolord

Post by crocolord »

I have this problem on all 3 of the machines(2 desktops and a laptop) I have 2.3 Final installed on, but it's sporadic.
2 of the machines have no software firewall and no AV on them.
The desktops have 1 and 1.5GB memory respectively, and the laptop has 512MB. It seems like the longer I leave NL running, the more likely it is to do this, but I don't have recorded numbers to back that up. One of the desktops is vary nearly a fresh install(4 weeks old at most).

astralwerks

Post by astralwerks »

I can confirm that MrZapper61's solution of setting the speed to automatic worked for me.

This bug only happened to me on version 2.3. I even formated my drive and it still occured until I did the above fix, and now everything is fine.

ericnmu

Post by ericnmu »

MrZapper61 wrote:Hi,
Try setting the "Your Internet Connection Maximum Download Speed" in "Connection/Speed" to "Automatic", this solved my "shutdown problems". :D

Gr,
MrZapper61.
But then we cant throttle :|
Thats a work around, not a solution. Hopefully we can get a response from the dev.