Serious question: what the hell am I paying you for?

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
spliffeh

Serious question: what the hell am I paying you for?

Post by spliffeh » Fri May 15, 2015 2:25 am

I'm a little pissed off, bare with me.

This "bug" has been in your software for YEARS (it was in v4.0 anyways) and has been reported multiple times. I experience it ENDLESSLY and can replicate it at any point - any one can. If you use NZB files it's impossible not to encounter it. You'd have to be blind deaf and dumb to not spot it. It's the most moronic and simple thing to do: just add the same .nzb file twice and Newsleecher FREAKS OUT because it already has the file in the queue. It's such an obvious and easy bug to fix. Programming 101. It happens SOOOOO MUCH, I'm sure you've gotten thousands upon thousands of "anonymous bug reports" - if that feature is actually working - or if anyone actually reads them. I know I've sent at least 10,000.....

So I mean this seriously: what the hell have I been paying you for all these years if you won't even fix the simplest bug ever? Do you EVER plan to fix it?

Code: Select all

Bug ID:
98j8qq

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 0088A6AF in module 'newsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 00000011

Code: Select all

Bug ID:
BGEX.2

Bug Data #1:
tsPanelQueuelvQueue

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00546922 in module 'newsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 33E88C04

Quaraxkad

Re: Serious question: what the hell am I paying you for?

Post by Quaraxkad » Fri May 15, 2015 4:02 am

I can import the same NZB as many times as I want. No bug. So clearly your assertion that anyone can reproduce it is wrong. It's very possible that it's more elusive and case-specific than you seem to believe.

As this post is in the Final Versions section of the forum, it's reasonable to assume you are using the very old 5.0. Upgrade.

Peweiss

Post by Peweiss » Sat May 16, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi,
I can confirm that this does not happen to me (NL6 and now NL 7 B7) ... it complains about file already in the queue but does not crash.

Regards - Peter

Blakeyrat

Post by Blakeyrat » Wed May 20, 2015 11:24 pm

Quaraxkad wrote:I can import the same NZB as many times as I want. No bug. So clearly your assertion that anyone can reproduce it is wrong. It's very possible that it's more elusive and case-specific than you seem to believe.
I'm using NL 6.5 beta 6 and no such bug exists.
Quaraxkad wrote:As this post is in the Final Versions section of the forum, it's reasonable to assume you are using the very old 5.0. Upgrade.
Which brings up a problem. The last final release was NL 5 which was released more than 2 years ago.

Since then, there has been:

NL v5.1 Beta 1
NL v5.2 Beta 1
NL v5.2 Beta 2
-- NL 5.x abandoned
NL v6.0 Beta 1
NL v6.0 Beta 2
NL v6.2 Beta 1
NL v6.3 Beta 1
NL v6.3 Beta 2
NL v6.5 Beta 1
NL v6.5 Beta 2
NL v6.5 Beta 3
NL v6.5 Beta 4
NL v6.5 Beta 5
NL v6.5 Beta 6
-- NL 6.x abandoned
NL v7.0 Beta 1
NL v7.0 Beta 2
NL v7.0 Beta 3
NL v7.0 Beta 4
NL v7.0 Beta 5
NL v7.0 Beta 6
NL v7.0 Beta 7

I guess this shouldn't be surprising. NL 4 was in beta for 2 years and there were 24 beta versions before the final release. NL 5 was also in beta for 2 years with 19 beta versions before the final release. Then NL 6 which was abandoned after 11 beta versions, and they moved on to NL 7.

I like Newsleecher. It works reasonably well and I like the overall layout and the features it has (although some features have been removed or changed over the years and that's not so good). But it has become quite clear than "Spiril" doesn't care about his paying customers and, even worse, has no clue how to do proper software development.

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba » Wed May 27, 2015 8:54 am

"But it has become quite clear than "Spiril" doesn't care about his paying customers and, even worse, has no clue how to do proper software development.". What kind of comments is that?
If that was the case why are you seeing all these releases of Beta versions. Those Betas are the releases before a final version 7. Yes Final 6 was skipped but Newsleecher is being developed every day...

"...has no clue how to do proper software development". Why do you use NewsLeecher? Many many users use Newsleecher and our service because it is a good application. Yes there are bugs & new features/removed features some user don't like and so on.
But with more than 12 years of releases of Newsleecher - he has no clue how to do proper software?

Normally we don't want and need to comment topics like this - but come on. Be reasonable and submit a support ticket with constructive criticism.
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

daviddth

Post by daviddth » Sat May 30, 2015 6:26 am

Look at it from our side scuba. It's been around 6 weeks without a service we pay for, nothing but the odd post from you, and nothing from Spiril.

Spiril has not been on the forum, or at least not POSTED in 2 months, oh and that's about the time some people started having issues with Supersearch.

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:22 pm

The message is not odd. But it's just strange that you don't contact us with your concern instead of these comments like we don't care about our paying customers.

But this is a user forum. Spiril is here sometimes and I also take a look once in a while.
We are always telling users to use the support page for issues/questions/comments or other queries where we guarantee a fast answer.
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.