Bugs found in beta 8

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
Gregoor

Bugs found in beta 8

Post by Gregoor »

Allright, so as mentioned on the other sub-forum I will try to describe the found bugs as well as possible. It will be hard to mention some cases though, as they appear to come "out of nothing".

One bug I saw whas when I was updating a newsgroup frequently because I wanted to see if new files of a post where allready available. So I pressed the updat group button a few times in about a 10-15 second timespan. The first two times it downloaded just the new headers. But the third time it started to download all the headers the servers had on that group. Note that offcourse my setting is to only download new headers and to keep headers in cache.

Another foung bug is when downloading files. My isp's newsserver only keeps files for a day or so. So when downloading older posts, these come from two or three payed usenetservers. So the the three connections to my isp's usenetserver are idling and say "Scanning transfer queue" as they should. Only after a while I most of the time get an error message saying something like "error in Send". And then this connection to my isp's usenetserver stops responding, and I can't use it anymore untill I restart Newsleecher. So after a while this has happened to all three my connections and I can't download or update from my isp anymore untill a restart of the app. I will have to see when it happens to me again, and I will add the exact error message. Btw, my isp is the Dutch @Home, but don't think that helps much as you probably can't test on it, as it is for cable clients only.

Next to that I have some more bugs, but I think here the error messages would really help. So I will add them as they occur again.

What I can say though is that another annoying bug is that when an error occurs for some reason newsleecher stops downloading parts of a thread, while they are still available, and continues with the next file in the download queue. This results in files download for mostly 70-90%, and no chance to use them, as newsleecher won't continue downloading them. As I then can't say I want to save the incomplete download this kind of is a waste of my bandwith as I have to redownload it again. And when this happens to you when you made a queue and went to sleep, this can be annoying. Especially when you find out in the morning that you have 25 files of 50 MB downloaded for 80% and can't use them :D

But after sounding all very critical I have to say I still like Newsleecher alot and think the interface is totaly awesome. But hey, otherwise I also wouldn't have registered it yet :)

TheFrenZ

Preview Panel ->progress bars & Transfer queue ->S

Post by TheFrenZ »

When using several servers where one or more of then is a fill server:

After leeching from the main server(s) files that still are partly queued:

When these files will get started on the fill server the progress bars in the Preview Panel will go verry quick to 100% and stay there a long time.
In this situation the Status column in the Transfer queue window will display value's bigger than 100%

I did see values bigger than 500%

It seems that the percentage is calculated wrong:
Leeched size / Fill size

Should be:
Leeched size / Complete size
GreetZ

TheFrenZ

brock101

complete files: downloading short

Post by brock101 »

Running beta 8
headers come up as complete
i queued them up, went off to work came back 9 hours later
to find newsleecher had downloaded most of what i had queued.
But thay were ALL short by a few hundred bytes and had turned pink :cry:
so in order to find out if it was a server problem or a newsleecher problem
i tried free agent same servers same groups etc etc
and dowloaded some of the files that i had tried to d/l earlier
this time thay came down complete no missing bytes or nothing
so i think it must be a bug.. so i thought i had best report it.
btw i was talking to a lad who was having the same problem as me
with newsleecher, so i take solace in the fact it is not only my problem

p.s i still love newsleecher.. thats why i regged it :P

Icefreez

Post by Icefreez »

I have had the tabs in newsleecher beta 8 get stuck, after doing an inc update on a group. I tried doing another inc update but the tabs would not start working again. I had to restart the program before the tabs worked again. Has happened twice to me since beta 8 came out.

Also from time to time newsleechers process never ends after closing it. Has happend numerous times resulting in me ending the process manually.

Thats it for now except for little things I can't descibe to well. Great program, do your best squashing those bugs :D

Edge

Re: complete files: downloading short

Post by Edge »

brock101 wrote:Running beta 8
headers come up as complete
But thay were ALL short by a few hundred bytes and had turned pink :cry:
so in order to find out if it was a server problem or a newsleecher problem
i tried free agent same servers same groups etc etc
and dowloaded some of the files that i had tried to d/l earlier
this time thay came down complete no missing bytes or nothing
so i think it must be a bug.. so i thought i had best report it.
btw i was talking to a lad who was having the same problem as me
with newsleecher, so i take solace in the fact it is not only my problem
Yes, same problem here, a lot of the downloaded files seems to be short for a few hundred bytes. I really like newsleecher but with this problem it is really not useful.... I have downloaded about 300 files 90% of them are short some bytes. Did download the same files again with newsbin pro and all the files were oke!
Another big problem is tht on regular base without any reason newsleecher is shutdown without ANY error message, very annoying...

PTH

Re: Bugs found in beta 8

Post by PTH »

Gregoor wrote: One bug I saw whas when I was updating a newsgroup frequently because I wanted to see if new files of a post where allready available. So I pressed the updat group button a few times in about a 10-15 second timespan. The first two times it downloaded just the new headers. But the third time it started to download all the headers the servers had on that group. Note that offcourse my setting is to only download new headers and to keep headers in cache.
i got the same problem and in a newsgroup with over 1.4 million headers :shock: :?

Gregoor

Post by Gregoor »

Alright, so I just got the Send error message I talked about earlier. So while downloading from my ISP, the Dutch @Home with three threads/connections, I get this meesage:

"Bug Data1:
9jmm29

Bug Data2:
Error 10057 in function Send
Socket is not connected"

This is what the log windows says:

"Error @ @Home news. Unable to Enter Group "". (503 Timeout after 10 seconds, closing connection.).
Error @ @Home news. Unable to Enter Group "". (503 Timeout after 10 seconds, closing connection.).
Bogus message detected.
Error @ @Home news. Unable to Enter Group "". (503 Timeout after 10 seconds, closing connection.).
Bogus message detected.
Bogus message detected."

LaRock

Post by LaRock »

But thay were ALL short by a few hundred bytes and had turned pink
I had the same problem. v1.0b8, trial mode or registered mode. I can choose to DL the same file again, then it will come over 100%

richierich

Post by richierich »

But thay were ALL short by a few hundred bytes and had turned pink
Well this seems to be a problem i also am having the same probs with only half of my list being completed. I then use newsbin pro and donwload the files and they are fine so please please fix this cos its well annoying...

But super program when it works correctly...

Keep up the good work... :)

Gregoor

Post by Gregoor »

Another thing that I somehow forgot about earlier.

It might as well be a feature at the moment or a bug, but I just hope the latter :)

When opening or closing newsgroups, the screens that shows how far it is with the process is always on the foreground, even if I switch to another program. I find this kind of annoying as it kind of irritates me when I'm working with the other programs.

I know you can just disable it, but I would still like to know who far it is with loading or unloading a newsgroup. So I would like to still be able to do that when I swith back from the other application to Newsleecher.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Gregoor wrote: When opening or closing newsgroups, the screens that shows how far it is with the process is always on the foreground, even if I switch to another program. I find this kind of annoying as it kind of irritates me when I'm working with the other programs.
Yep, that's a bug. I have tried to solve it once before, but it's harder to get it work correctly than expected... I'll take a look at it again

Bodach

Post by Bodach »

Spiril wrote:
Gregoor wrote: When opening or closing newsgroups, the screens that shows how far it is with the process is always on the foreground, even if I switch to another program. I find this kind of annoying as it kind of irritates me when I'm working with the other programs.
Yep, that's a bug. I have tried to solve it once before, but it's harder to get it work correctly than expected... I'll take a look at it again
If you cannot get that working, you could always put the information of loading/saving in the status bar with some sort of progress bar.

Tigggger

Post by Tigggger »

Pehaps the titlebar ?