100% CPU load when server down

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
Boonie

100% CPU load when server down

Post by Boonie » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:05 am

When my newsserver is not available due to maintanance or malfunction newsleecher wil try to connect to it again and again without any delay. This results in high CPU load.

The usage log shows up to 4 lines per second saying:
25-9-2005 10:46:55 Bot(1) disconnected from server: "nova".

In the options > connections menu I have the "retry connecting after" set to 35 seconds.

I think this is a bug that could be fixed verry easy.

Boonie

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:46 pm

I've seen a couple of people report this. I'll add it to the known bugs list. Hopefully Spiril will be able to knock this one out in one of the upcoming v3.0 point releases.

techfuzz

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:14 pm

Boonie wrote:When my newsserver is not available due to maintanance or malfunction newsleecher wil try to connect to it again and again without any delay. This results in high CPU load.
When this problem occurs, the error message I've seen has been:

Code: Select all

Unable to abort action ""
Spiril, on a related note, again with "Unable to abort action", there are problems with the server authentication error messages. Here's what I'm seeing:

Code: Select all

Unable to abort action "502 Authentication error"
I would like to see the name of the server shown rather the "Unable to abort action" on this line of the log entry.

Even the first error message I've quoted above does not show a server name.

Fixing these server error message problems will be appreciated.

(note: This has been added to the Known Bugs thread.)

--
Lips

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:43 am

I see this is in the known issues but I thought I would mention my own thoughts on it.

This high CPU usage is a big problem for me, and I hope it is a high priority in the fix list.

The one thing I wanted to add was that I have the re-connect time set to 60 seconds but it is not doing this and I wonder if that is also part of the cause for the high CPU since it is not taking that time in between connections. In addition as soon as the connection is made to the server the CPU goes back to normal.

Other then this issue (which is driving me nuts since I cant do anything while everything connects) this is a great release with no other problems I have noticed.

Edit: I am using WinXP Pro SP2
Last edited by Sabrina on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

XM2

Post by XM2 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:23 pm

Same problem here. Win2KSP3.

Refthoom

Post by Refthoom » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:46 am

Same for me. XP2SP2.

Perhaps this has something to do with a somewhat strange message in the connectioons pane. Normally the server messages are shown per server and per connection. Sometimes the message is just "9". Nothing else. Weird huh?

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:54 am

The Action being "9" instead of Downloading or Idle is something I reported happening over a year ago with one of the 1.0 betas. I do not believe this is related to the 100% CPU problem of this thread.

AFAIK, Spiril was never able to reproduce the problem and hasn't been able to figure out why it does this. I see this issue more often when opening NL with files already in the queue and then connect to the servers but this is not something I can reproduce 100% of the time.

It isn't a major problem as NL just ends up downloading the segment again. If it happens again, check the log for any errors or corrupt segments.

djr

Post by djr » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:49 pm

PLEASE :!: fix this :cry: :cry:
It's been almost two weeks since this was confirmed and it's getting really on my nerves.

- jusqu'ici tout va bien -

Refthoom

Post by Refthoom » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:53 pm

Hmmm. Wouldn't it be a great idea if Spiril send some people a debug version of newsleecher? I've been a registered user from almost the beginning and I wouldn't mind running a debug version of newsleecher so Spiril can get some insight into these ocurrences of 100% CPU.

So that when it occurs again I can send the debug info to Spiril and he can use that information to get the bug fixed.

Waddaya say Spril? Good idea? :wink:

pantera

Post by pantera » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:55 pm

Smudge wrote:It isn't a major problem as NL just ends up downloading the segment again. If it happens again, check the log for any errors or corrupt segments.
It happens a lot of time at my downloads but they complete correctly - you state that 'NL just ends up ... AGAIN'- i can not put my finger on the AGAIN portion of the line because the segment is downloaded correctly.
Pls expl.

Grtz.