Logged out, can't log back in

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

Arsby

Logged out, can't log back in

Post by Arsby »

Up until yesterday I was having no problems.
For some reason after restarting Windows I can't get back into NL.
I get the bar in NL that tells me I need to activate.
When I press Register the User Name/Password boxes are inhibited, and underneath where it says Your Active Newsleecher Plan it says "checking".
Is this a temporary thing on the NL side, or is it something I need to fix on my side?
Thanks!
P.S. I'm logged into the NL site and forums, nothing wrong with my connectivity.

rmhochman42

Re: Logged out, can't log back in

Post by rmhochman42 »

Some thoughts / ideas that Scuba sent me regarding the "checking" endlessly on the register screen-

it can be many things...but first....
Go to:
1 NEWS&LOG tab
2. Click CONNECT in left upper corner
3. Wait 2 seconds and click on CONNECT again
4. Go to REGISTER (click on upper right corner)
5. Now it should be possible to Enter your members area account and register.

IF it doesn't help to wait - it means that something is blocking the application to reach the license servers.
You have to make sure it's not being blocked by antivirus/firewall/security center and try again.

another thing is we have seen is to start the program as 'administrator' can do the trick. (rightclick on newsleecher link and "run as administrator")

Arsby

Post by Arsby »

Thanks for the prompt response!
The News tab fix didn't work.
Running as Administrator allowed me to enter my user name and password and it cleared the "Need to Activate" bar and supersearch worked
BUT
now it's clear that my server info and my newsgroups (for browsing) have been wiped.
I'll post that problem separately, because it happened before.

rmhochman42

Post by rmhochman42 »

Based on my own experience, its best to keep a backup copy of the setup.v2.dat file in another folder.

Arsby

Post by Arsby »

Thanks, I'll do that!

bkz2457

Post by bkz2457 »

Always keep a back up of v2 files, very handy if you format and you don't want to spend hours ignoring subjects, posters, the blocked list etc etc. ;)
Just run NL once, enter your details [if it works of course] once registered just overwrite the existing files in users\appdata\roaming\newsleecher

Arsby

Post by Arsby »

Thanks! Will do!