AT which version did Newsleecher becomes a subscription service

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

happy hopping

AT which version did Newsleecher becomes a subscription service

Post by happy hopping »

I am still using ver. 3.8,

1) could someone tells me whether it's true that newsleecher has become a monthly subscription service?

2) also, I paid an annual fee to my Usenet subscription at XSusenet.com, do I qualify to get the latest ver. 7 or 8 for free?

3) Some files that I downloaded from the NZB search engine, is obfuscated. Does newer ver. of newsleech automatically convert those nonsense letters file name back to the way it was when it saves on my SSD?

4) I don't understand why the need for SuperSearch? I thought when we need to search something, we use news search engine like binsearch, so why do we need SuperSearch?

5) Does Repair / Extract able to guess at the RAR password should the file is password protected?

Mibbler

Re: AT which version did Newsleecher becomes a subscription service

Post by Mibbler »

happy hopping wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:49 pm
I am still using ver. 3.8,

1) could someone tells me whether it's true that newsleecher has become a monthly subscription service?

2) also, I paid an annual fee to my Usenet subscription at XSusenet.com, do I qualify to get the latest ver. 7 or 8 for free?
Starting with ver. 7 the program itself is free for everyone but there is an optional monthly subscription to SuperSearch, NL's Usenet servers, or both. So you could use NL for free with whatever you're paying for XSusenet and your NZB site. Here's the subscription page.
happy hopping wrote:
3) Some files that I downloaded from the NZB search engine, is obfuscated. Does newer ver. of newsleech automatically convert those nonsense letters file name back to the way it was when it saves on my SSD?
I doubt it (I haven't tried that) but v8 does do that with the files that SuperSearch deobfuscates. That's the major advantage over v7, which doesn't fix the file names after download. But v8, which is currently beta, lacks some of v7's capabilities and makes some others less convenient. It also has more errors during downloads. I recommend installing both in separate directories so that you can run either of them to avoid the other's problems. By default they both use the same configuration and data files. However, they're not compatible with v3.8's files.
happy hopping wrote:
4) I don't understand why the need for SuperSearch? I thought when we need to search something, we use news search engine like binsearch, so why do we need SuperSearch?
SuperSearch provides a limited capability similar to NZB files but easier to use (when it works), especially in v8, because it's better integrated into the program. If you read other postings in the forum you'll see that the SuperSearch servers go down fairly often and even when they're working they might not find all the things they should. On the NL Status page, scroll down to the SuperSearch & SuperLeech Usage Graphs. Whenever the usage goes to zero it's because the servers aren't working.
happy hopping wrote:
5) Does Repair / Extract able to guess at the RAR password should the file is password protected?
No, but if you know the password you can add it to NL's password manager and it will use that to decode the download.
Del Mibbler

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping »

First of all, thanks for helping out

In regards to #:

1) How does Newsleecher make money if it's free? Solely from Usenet share revenue? anyhoo, on the Ver. 7, it says "9.49/mth. Unlimited Newsleecher Usenet Access, No speed limit". etc. So does it mean WITHOUT the $9.49/mth., there is some limitation for people using Ver. 7. In other words, what is mean by "Limited Free Edition" in English, is it just the Supersearch? Or is there something unwritten?

Also, I did pay an annual subscription w/ XSusenet for years. So under "Register", how do I get a "member Area username and password"? do I contact XSUsenet, or do I just show Newsleecher my paypal payment to get a Member Area username & password.

3) if the obfuscate NZB is not from Super Search, would Ver. 8 still be able to deobfuscate it?

4) NZB search is based on indexing, the more indexing the search engine get, the more result. I was told that the best one out there for indexing is NZB Tortuga website, but I don't have a referral so I can't become a paid member eventhough I have been using Usenet for decades. How big is Super Search compares to the result of NZB Tortuga?

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba »

1) How does Newsleecher make money if it's free? Solely from Usenet share revenue? anyhoo, on the Ver. 7, it says "9.49/mth. Unlimited Newsleecher Usenet Access, No speed limit". etc. So does it mean WITHOUT the $9.49/mth., there is some limitation for people using Ver. 7. In other words, what is mean by "Limited Free Edition" in English, is it just the Supersearch? Or is there something unwritten?

We have services - First of all usenet service. Then we also have a paid supersearch and superleech service. Meaning either one of these packages:
Ready 2 Go package
Client Plus package
Pure Usenet

There is nothing "unwritten"....

Also, I did pay an annual subscription w/ XSusenet for years. So under "Register", how do I get a "member Area username and password"? do I contact XSUsenet, or do I just show Newsleecher my paypal payment to get a Member Area username & password.

Members area and pw for newsleecher is only if you have one of our packages : Ready 2 Go package, Client Plus package, Pure Usenet
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping »

I'm paying another website as indexing service. I can switch to Supersearch but where's Supersearch rank compares to other indexing services?

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping »

I have just try Newsleecher 8, it does save the files in the proper file name. However, can anyone tell me why it also download all the PAR2 files? I thought in the older ver., the default is it does NOT automatically download the PAR2 files.

Unless there is some sort of setting of the new software that I don't know about

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping »

1 quick question in case anyone can help:

Would there be some sort of conflict if I install 2 different version of newsleecher on my PC? Say an older version along w/ Ver 8 Beta?

Mibbler

Post by Mibbler »

happy hopping wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:10 pm
1 quick question in case anyone can help:

Would there be some sort of conflict if I install 2 different version of newsleecher on my PC? Say an older version along w/ Ver 8 Beta?
No conflict in installing as many versions as you want, in separate directories, at least back to V7 and maybe earlier. It's even OK for all of them to use the same Data and Temp directories, which you can relocate from their default locations using this FAQ. I did that long ago because I kept my C: drive primarily for the OS, a D: drive for programs and an E: drive for data. That's even more important now that C: and D: are on an SSD and I want files that change constantly to be on a hard drive (E:).

It's been so long since I relocated the directories that I don't remember what the default locations were. The FAQ page above has links that should tell you but those links are dead. NOTE TO FORUM ADMINISTRATOR: Please fix that.

You can only run one version at a time but trying to run two doesn't cause a problem; it just won't let you. Downloading headers is much faster and more complete in V7 than in any V8 Betas but once downloaded you can close V7, open V8 and the downloaded headers are right there to deal with, provided both use the same data.
Del Mibbler

Mibbler

Post by Mibbler »

happy hopping wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:47 am
I have just try Newsleecher 8, it does save the files in the proper file name. However, can anyone tell me why it also download all the PAR2 files? I thought in the older ver., the default is it does NOT automatically download the PAR2 files.

Unless there is some sort of setting of the new software that I don't know about
On the Settings/Unpacker page, make sure that Auto PAR2 Queue Handling is checked. Then it should only download the PAR2 files that are needed.
Del Mibbler

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping »

Mibbler wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:51 pm
On the Settings/Unpacker page, make sure that Auto PAR2 Queue Handling is checked. Then it should only download the PAR2 files that are needed.
that's strange. Because it's checked ON. I'll try another file and see what happens

thanks for helping out on my other question