DOWNLOADSPEED ONLY 10% OF GIGANEWS SPEED TEST!!!

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

tim.com

DOWNLOADSPEED ONLY 10% OF GIGANEWS SPEED TEST!!!

Post by tim.com »

Guys, I need help!!! My downloadspeed is only 150 KB/s max. My speedtest thru my provider is 1.2 MB/s. I already removed all McAfee software, I juts don't get up to speed.. Switched to version 3.5, no avail.. BellSouth doesn't know anything either because their download test also gives 1.2 MB/s.. NL maxes out at 150... Can somebody help me???

Lips
Forum Moderator

Re: DOWNLOADSPEED ONLY 10% OF GIGANEWS SPEED TEST!!!

Post by Lips »

tim.com wrote:Guys, I need help!!! My downloadspeed is only 150 KB/s max. My speedtest thru my provider is 1.2 MB/s. I already removed all McAfee software, I juts don't get up to speed.. Switched to version 3.5, no avail.. BellSouth doesn't know anything either because their download test also gives 1.2 MB/s.. NL maxes out at 150... Can somebody help me???
Are you possibly confusing Mbytes/s with Mbits/s?
If your max speed is 1.2 Mbits/s and you are getting 150 kBytes/s, then you are getting the full download speed.
If you like, you can change “Options | General | Speed Display Units” to kbits/s, which will show speeds exceeding 1 Mbit/s as “Mbps”.

--
Lips

tim.com

Post by tim.com »

Thanks, I'm at a loss here.. It shows the download speed as 1.2 Mbps... That certainly is more than 150 KB/s??? Because 150 is virtually nothing... Giganews Server test gives 1256 kbps... So something is wrong.. When NL is downloading my speedtests also come back around 400 KB/s...

retownes

Post by retownes »

tim.com wrote:Thanks, I'm at a loss here.. It shows the download speed as 1.2 Mbps... That certainly is more than 150 KB/s??? Because 150 is virtually nothing... Giganews Server test gives 1256 kbps... So something is wrong.. When NL is downloading my speedtests also come back around 400 KB/s...
1.2 Mbps is roughly the same as 150 kbps. I think you are confusing "kbps" with "KB/s".

tim.com

Post by tim.com »

You're all right... I'm used to my cable download speeds in the Netherlands... which is probably 6 times faster than the 1.2 MB they show here... Thanks to all...

Jim galbally

Post by Jim galbally »

There are 8 bits (lowercase b) in a byte (CAPITAL B)

so take 1.2Mbits (1228.8bits) and divide by 8 to convert to bytes and you get 153.6KiloBYTES per second

so you are indeed getting your true speed...

to download at 1.2megabytes per second you'd need 10megabit broadband!

eapoe

Post by eapoe »

I'm having the same problem with newsleech

At the moment I only can use NewsBin V5 but I rather use newsleecher.
It stalls after 20-30 seconds and the speed drops dramatically.

Rgards.... Dikr