NL server

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

bartzor

NL server

Post by bartzor »

>I just bought NL and downloaded it but my question is, how can i connect to a server?? thx for the replys

Lips
Forum Moderator

Re: NL server

Post by Lips »

bartzor wrote:>I just bought NL and downloaded it but my question is, how can i connect to a server?? thx for the replys
NewsLeecher does not provide a newsserver. Check with your ISP for the connection details of their newsserver (if they have one, as not all ISPs provide this service). While ISP newsservers are usually not very good, usually having very low article retention and often poor completion, the server may be good enough to get you started with Usenet.

You can purchase an account with a premium NSP (News Service Provider). For Unlimited accounts, Giganews and Newshosting are the most often recommended here in the NL forum. There are others that may be of interest to you depending upon your needs (such as article retention, speed, amount you’ll be downloading, do you just need a fills server maybe offering non-expiring block accounts).
Here's some links to NSP info that can help you choose depending upon your needs (always check the sites of the NSPs that are of interest to you in order to get up-to-date info):
Ed’s server info page
NGProvider
Anchordudes

Here’s some links to basic tutorials to help setup NL and for help with binaries Usenet basics:
binaries4all
Slyck's Newsgroups Guide
Newzguide
NewsLeecher server setup guide here in the Tech Support forum. It should be of some help with the basics even though it’s a bit out-of-date.

--
Lips