Speed Problems

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

paparilly

Speed Problems

Post by paparilly »

I went away for few days to visit some relatives, got back home turned the PC started up my newsleecher 3.0 final and my maximum speed has dropped from a constant 500+KB to 1KB maybe 2KB. Nothing's change so I don't understand. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but got the same result. Don't know everything there is to know about PC's so I would appreciate some help. I've been searching around and found several people with the same problem but no solution.

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

Sounds a lot like your ISP is capping your bandwidth. Have you contacted them yet? Who is your ISP?

techfuzz

paparilly

Post by paparilly »

No I haven't contacted them yet but I will. Did'nt think it was them (Knology) because even if they put a cap on the bandwidth I should get more than 1KB.

paparilly

Post by paparilly »

I contacted my ISP an they convinced me that nothing change on their end. So I borrowed my buddies desktop just to see what it would do, and what do ya know the speed is back to 500KB on his but still only 2KB on mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

If nothing changed on your PC and nothing changed with your ISP/News provider, it might be a hardware issue. Have you tried another network card (maybe a friend can lend you one)?
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

paparilly

Post by paparilly »

I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with newsleecher because now I just gets stuck connecting to server. When I uninstall and reinstall there's no prompt to re-enter my key. where is that information stored?

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

It's encrypted in the registry. You're not likely going to find it. When you uninstalled, did you remove all the files from the directory where you previously had installed NL? If so, that will remove all traces (except the license key #).

If you have a router, try bypassing it and connecting directly to the Internet to take as many variables out of the equation.

techfuzz

paparilly

Post by paparilly »

Okay, directly plugging the ethernet into my NIC didn't make a difference either. I'm beginning to get frustrated because it's been a while now and I'm missing out and having to find alternatives. Please Help

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

Use another news program and download some binaries. Do you experience the same speed drops with it?

techfuzz

paparilly

Post by paparilly »

Okay, so I used another Usenet Reader (which I won't mention because I'm not sure if I can) and the performance was excellent and consistant at 500KB-508KB download rate. This proves to me that my problem is with newsleecher itself. I have a 1yr paid subscription with SuperSearch and it's even more frustrating now to know that the problem is with this program. Please someone help me find the solution!

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

Once again, if you have not changed one single thing on your machine, right before or after your vacation then I have a hard time imagining the problem is with newsleecher.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

Do you have a firewall or antivirus installed? If so, which ones? If you disable them, does the problem go away?

techfuzz

paparilly

Post by paparilly »

the problem went away for a few days and downloading was fine, back up to 500KB/s. then what, it goes back to 1-2KB/s with no changes being made, no restarting, no uninstalling/installing of anything. it just started working and then stopped.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

techfuzz wrote:Do you have a firewall or antivirus installed? If so, which ones? If you disable them, does the problem go away?
paparilly wrote:the problem went away for a few days and downloading was fine, back up to 500KB/s. then what, it goes back to 1-2KB/s with no changes being made, no restarting, no uninstalling/installing of anything. it just started working and then stopped.
What about the firewall & av as techfuzz asked? Do have an onboard NVIDIA firewall?

--
Lips

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

From Knology's AUP:
Excessive Bandwidth or Disk Utilization

Knology reserves the right to set limits on bandwidth and disk utilization, and use in excess of those limits is not permitted. The total number of bytes transferred from an account's Web and FTP space determines bandwidth utilization. The total number of bytes required to store an account's Web, FTP, and Mail data determines disk utilization.

If excessive bandwidth or disk space utilization is determined to adversely affect Knology's ability to provide service, immediate action will be taken. The account owner will be notified by e-mail as soon as practicable.
I would seriously reconsider this to be the source of your problem. With almost every ISP that I've seen this kind of language in their AUP, users inevitably experience slowdowns in NNTP bandwidth exactly as you have described.

techfuzz