NewsLeecher stops downloading headers suddenly

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

BratMokstrof

NewsLeecher stops downloading headers suddenly

Post by BratMokstrof »

I click on a newsgroep (for example a.b.cores) and click on the checkbox.
It says (for example) 82023 new Headers and starts downloading.
However, all of a sudden, it stops doing so and return to a "Idle, ready for action" state.
When clicking "Update" or rechecking the checkbox, doesn't make NewsLeecher start over again...
When re-installing the same situation happens.
This happens in ALL newsgroups, however, the amounts of headers it downloades is different in all groups, but never more then half of all headers.

I am connected by Chello (UPC) and logged in on news.ams.chello.nl. I live in Amsterdam.
The system specs are high, so that won't be the problem. There is enough disk-space and untill it stops, most of the times the speed of downloading headers is high.

What can be the reason this happens and - more important - how can I solve this?

Thanks a lot.

daphatty
Forum Moderator

Post by daphatty »

I have this happen quite often with Easynews. After trying a slew of things including, recreating my server settings, disabling server connection reset, and uninstalling/reinstalling NL, I found that the problem must be with Easynews. :shock: I know it is difficult to accept that such a great provider could have problems but I managed to recreate the issue with Xnews. In my experience I have found that some active connections simply die and have to be re-established.

If you haven't tried any of the three steps I mentioned above then have a whack at it. I know it will force you to lose your header cache but at least you'll be able to determine if the problem is software related or provider related.

elite

Post by elite »

that is the same thing that is happening with me on UNS - I don't know why. I have to keep on regetting headers

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

daphatty wrote:I have this happen quite often with Easynews. After trying a slew of things including, recreating my server settings, disabling server connection reset, and uninstalling/reinstalling NL, I found that the problem must be with Easynews. :shock: I know it is difficult to accept that such a great provider could have problems but I managed to recreate the issue with Xnews. In my experience I have found that some active connections simply die and have to be re-established.
Have you tried Easynews Support or support newsgroups? If it's an issue with their software or hardware there are probably others complaining of the same problem. There could be a problem somewhere between EN and your ISP. They will probably also want to see a reverse traceroute from there servers to you (should be on there website. I don't use EN so I can't be sure).
Elite and BratMokstrof, if you try Daphatty's suggestions to no avail and you can duplicate the behavior using another reader/bin grabber, then you might want to contact your newsserver's support people.
Anyways, just some more to try if you haven't already.

--
Lips