VPN Troubles

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

wartbump

VPN Troubles

Post by wartbump »

Hello, I have an unlimited account with Giganews/Giganews Accelerator and use Newsleecher with Supersearch.
I have 2 VPN accounts, Relakks and HorSpotVPN, I can't connect through either of them, I get an "Too many connections" error from all attempts on all news servers !
It isn't a Firewall problem, does anyone know how this should work on XP ? Thanks.

crocolord

Post by crocolord »

We'd need way more info then that to begin to diagnose this. Networking gets complex fast.

Are you certain your VPNs don't filter usenet ports? HAve you tried connecting on other ports(I think Giganews supports alternate ports). When connected to your VPNs, is the VPN set to become the default route?

sheepshagger

Post by sheepshagger »

are you trying to access the new server from more than 1 location at the same time?

wartbump

Sorry about the delay

Post by wartbump »

I am using an ISP that doesn,t filter ports and I am only accessing one at a time, the odd thing is that it now sometimes works, albeit at a reduced speed.

crocolord

Re: Sorry about the delay

Post by crocolord »

wartbump wrote:I am using an ISP that doesn,t filter ports and I am only accessing one at a time, the odd thing is that it now sometimes works, albeit at a reduced speed.
The ISP filtering is irrelevent unless they are filtering VPN traffic. If your traffic is crossing the VPN at all, the ISP can't tell what the originating and target ports are unless the ISP is the one hosting your VPN. That's one of the points to the VPN, 3rd parties(the ISP) can't know anything about your traffic. It only knows that data is crossing from point A to point B, and point B may not even be the ultimate target end point for the traffic.

The question was, is your VPN host filtering traffic. It doesn't seem to be since you can get through now, but maybe they are capping it. Or, keep in mind that you will likely have slower performance across a VPN unless your VPN also has huge pipes and a nice route to the destination which it may not. I have a VPN I can use, and it makes the performance to my news host much less consistent then a direct connect.

Do a tracert to the news server when you are and aren't connecting to the VPN and see how the differ, that may give you a big clue as to your issues...

scuba
Site Admin

Re: VPN Troubles

Post by scuba »

how many of users use VPN? i am asking because it could be an idea for us to offer VPN (newsleecher VPN)...
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.