Vista Servicepack 1 installed NL 3.9 beta 13/14 won't work anymore

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

Dirk-Jan

Vista Servicepack 1 installed NL 3.9 beta 13/14 won't work anymore

Post by Dirk-Jan »

I installed the servicepack for Vista yesterday and ever since my Newsleecher 3.9 beta 13 doesn't work anymore. I downloaded beta 14 and installed it but no success.
I'am back to NL 3.8 and that on works but now i have to repair and unpack everything myself what a deception.

Can you please find an answer to my problem?? :?

Thank you! :D

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Can you give a better description than it "doesn't work anymore"? What part isn't working? Is it unable to connect/download? or can you even get it started? Do you get any error mesages?

Have you tried removing all configuration files and starting from defaults? You can find the location and explanation of each configuration file at viewtopic.php?t=6766
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Dirk-Jan

Post by Dirk-Jan »

It doesn't start at all. I tried to update it with betaversion 14 but no success. I had NL removed completely restarted the computer and installed it again but i won't start and Vista said it was going to look for a resolvement and notify me when it found one.

Now it installed Version 3.8 and that is working perfectly but 3.9 was better because it did everything by itself! :roll:

What can i do?? :?

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

We recommend removing all the configuration files after uninstalling NL and prior to installing a new version. Look at the link provided by Smudge for assistance removing all the configuration files.

techfuzz

baes

Post by baes »

Same problem here.
I uninstall newsleecher, check that 'program files\newsleecher' was totaly remove by the uninstall. It was

remove the %appdata%\roaming\newsleecher

Reboot

Install -> Same problem

I think there is another directory somewhere else cause NL doesn't ask me to reenter the key...

Another idea ?

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

The key is stored in the registry and can only be removed using the Remove License feature under the Help menu in NL. The key is the only configuration item stored in the registry; everything else is stored in configuration files.

Which version of NL are you installing? Have you tried installing and running NL as Administrator or with UAC turned off?

techfuzz

baes

Post by baes »

I was working perfectly with NLb13
I apply VistaSP1 ... everything was ok
I install NLb14 and I can open NL but when I submit a search for example, I have a white screen and NL crash with only a windows dialog box saying to close it. But NL crash when I download files too.
I tried to reinstall b13 but it crash now as the b14.
newsleecher.exe has stop working
[...]
Windows will close the program and will tell you if a solution is available
[ Close the Program ]
(translate from french message)

Btw, UAC is not the problem cause NLb13 was working perfectly with, and without administrative rights.
B14 with Administrative right crash too.

It it can help, I can run a debug tool if you have one or submit log.

baes

Post by baes »

Same thing with b15.

Still waiting for a solution cause now I can't even open NL. It crash at the beginning. Just after logo appears

baes

Post by baes »

If you can't make NL works on Vista SP1 I will ask you to pause my account or to refund me.

I prefer that you give me a working solution but I have no reply from you.

roko72

Post by roko72 »

ik bought it yesterday.

same problem

tryed to update the program to the newest beta..............now it doesn't work at all.

can't even start it :cry:

mata7

Post by mata7 »

i know you are frustrate wiht this problem, but i just want to tell you that NL work for me on Vista x64 SP1 and on Vista x86 SP1 whit out problems

i think NL Team should create a NL Remove tool so you unistall it can remove all reg and everything else

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

To fully remove NewsLeecher, do the following

1. Run NewsLeecher then use the Help>License Key Tools>Uninstall Active Key menu to remove the installed registration key then quit NewsLeecher. If you are planning on reinstalling NewsLeecher, you can skip this step.

2. Use the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel to uninstall the NewsLeecher application.

3. Open a DOS window and type rmdir /Q /S "%appdata%\NewsLeecher" to remove all the configuration files/queues/caches/etc.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

mata7

Post by mata7 »

still will be better when someone uninstall NL automatic remove all that whit out someone need to go and type all that, just my opinion

iamlazy801

How To Fix This Issue

Post by iamlazy801 »

Okay. If I am reading correctly. The issue that your having is whenever you try to load newsleecher Windows Vista shuts it down and give you the option to close or check online for solution.

First of all Uninstall Newsleecher through add/remove progs and restart machine.

Next, download and install v3.8, but when installing don't use the default directory (instead try C:\ProgramFiles\NWLeech). Changing the directory forces vista to re-setup all of the registry tags.

If v3.8 works at this point then download and install v3.9beta into the same directory (C:\ProgramFiles\NWLeech) without removing the v3.8.... your simply overwriting 3.8 with v3.9beta.

baes

Post by baes »

First of all, thanks a lot iamlazy801.

I did as you said.
Fully uninstall :
- Add remove programs
- Delete %appdata%\newsleecher directory as said above.
Restart.

I install NL3.8 in NWLeech directory.
Start it 3x and everything was ok.

I then install NL3.9b15 in the same directory.
Start it 1x and everything was ok.
Close it and try to launch it again.
2 x same crash.

I will make others test later but I think there is a function lauch just after the logo appears (perhaps the online-search I don't know) that crash NL.

If you have others ideas, I will test :)

Thanks a lot again