Newsleecher problems

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

Gadgets78

Newsleecher problems

Post by Gadgets78 »

Hello folks. I am having a few problems with my NL. Iwas able to use it for quite a while. THen I had to move house and change routers and now I cant seem to download anything or get NL to work. All it says under action is Connecto to Servers and then hangs there.

A fellow user of NL thinks it maybe down to my new router, though I wouldnt have a clue what to look for if it was. I am using a netgear router

Can anyone help?

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Did you by chance also switch ISP? Do you have anything in the queue for download? Are you actually connected to the server (the button is pressed)?
Fill in your bugs so NL will get better.

Gadgets78

Post by Gadgets78 »

I have changed ISP to Tiscali.

There is nothing in my download que as I canceled everything out to try something else invade that was the problem.

And the connect button has been pressed. Help!?!?!? lol

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Until you have something in your queue, it will stay like that.
Fill in your bugs so NL will get better.

Gadgets78

Post by Gadgets78 »

Well when I pick something to download, NL opens and I get the connect to
Servers message under action, and then nothing happens....

Tig

Post by Tig »

This could be a range of problems really.

Changing both ISP and router would initially have me searching to see if;

a) Your ISP only allows NNTP service from their own servers (Not something I'd expect to see these days but it may happen.)
b) Your router, for some odd reason, filters out NNTP traffic.

Of course, it could just be that you changed your anti-virus software as well (perhaps something 'free' with your ISP set-up CD) and there are many known issues with various AV solutions (for example, I use Avast but have to turn off NNTP scanning for NL to work - At least, I've always had to in the past, I've never checked to see if this is still the case.)

I'm assuming you have at least tried to google for the various issues at hand? eg: 'newsgroups tiscali' or 'newsgroups <your router name>' for example?

Gadgets78

Post by Gadgets78 »

Tig, thanks for the help so far.

The server i am trying to access is newshosting, however on checking the newsleecher log it comes back with "disconected from server, 61 seconds of inactivity" From your two points above, A is not the issue, however you maybe right with your second in that it would appear the router is not allowing Leecher to do what it should.

The router i have is a Netgear DG834g and my PC is running vista. I am using, for the moment AVG free to see if it was my anti virus, however Leecher still does not work with or without an anti virus. It would appear that the router is blocking something and needs configured however on searching the newsgroups as you say I am a bit satumped as in what to look for. Any suggestions?