Better "Select All From Poster" option?

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

musicalfruit

Better "Select All From Poster" option?

Post by musicalfruit » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:13 am

Hi,

When I do a "Select All From Poster", it only seems to filter on the reported name so if someone spams by using a common name (i.e. Yenc-PP-A&A), all messages from that common name gets selected. Not very useful if you are trying to delete that spam.

Is there a way to filter based on the name and the IP address the message was posted from? That way, you won't accidentally delete "good" messages when trying to delete spam.

Thanks.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:22 pm

Sorry, but how would you look at the IP it was posted from? If I would post something to my usenet provider, it would converge to yours, with the source address of my provider. As a provider has lots of users, that kinda beats the whole "ip filter" idea. Because it's possible the spam goes from the same server as legimate posts, that use the same postname.

I think the "select all from poster" functions just fine. It looks for the exact match of the username. So if it's from "YencP&P (Yenc)" it will select all of those, but not "YencP&P (bla)".

Want to escape the spam, set an ignore filter.
Fill in your bugs so NL will get better.

musicalfruit

Post by musicalfruit » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:14 am

That's what I'm curious about. Extracting the IP from the posting is fine as I think being about to do a "Select all if name == Yenc-PP-A&A and IP == 10.10.10.123" is more useful than simply selecting by name. But perhaps there are overhead considerations that preclude such an option.

Does the ignore filter mask based on just the name? I can't simply ignore all messages from "Yenc-PP-A&A" (or some other popular names) as that would ignore a lot of legitimate messages.

Thanks.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:10 am

You can also set a crosspost filter, which I have set for 4 groups. You will see the skipped headers in the log tab.

As I said before, extracting the IP won't work, because the actual source IP is gone when it converges to another server.
Fill in your bugs so NL will get better.