Choppy mouse cursor

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

flanders

Choppy mouse cursor

Post by flanders »

Hey all

When I leave my computer running all day, sometimes on and idle, I often get a choppy mouse cursor and keyboard when downloading with NL.

Thing is I have tried defraging the memory, closing some programs or background tasks... etc... but the problem still occurs.
Note that everything runs fine until I swith the "Connect" button on -> that is windows runs well, the start menu shows up real quick and all; it's just the mouse cursor.

My downloads go on a ramdisk, so no worries here, and it still happens when I change the paths.

Solution? Restart or log off/log on. When I do that it goes back to normal.

How strange is that? Anyone has a clue?

Thanks
Ned

sheepshagger

Post by sheepshagger »

sounds like the memory is paging out

flanders

Post by flanders »

err well it looked like that... but it wasn't.

I increased swap file size with no better result.
Then I loaded filemon and realized that the antivirus software that I had disabled (G-Data) was still working in the background and accessing the HD.

I have uninstalled it and since I use Avira it's working fine. What a shame.

Johnny1900

Post by Johnny1900 »

i have the exact same problem, but i already run avira. system gets choppy after a few hours when i have run newsleecher. closing and restarting newsleecher seems to make things worse. eventually the system crashes. task manager shows around 50% cpu and 1,5 gb ram used shortly before crash. system is very unresponsive though and almost unsusable..
running vista 32-bit (german) on a core 2 duo e6550 with 2gb ram, sata2 samsung 1tb disk. happened in all v4 betas as well as 3.9 final (tried installing that too). device drivers are all up to date. having read the thread, i'm now trying to increase the page file size and downloading filemon to monitor when the next crash comes. any help?

flanders

Post by flanders »

Yes that problem also occured to me but it's a different problem. Is your NL unresponsive and its window all white?

You have to make sure that Newsleecher is the process that takes 50% CPU; so if it happens again go to the process tab and see what happens.

It used to happen to me when I paused NL, sometimes just idle... but since b6 or b7 it happens way less than before.

Johnny1900

Memory leak!!

Post by Johnny1900 »

Ok, testing done. I am now relatively sure this is a memory leak in newsleecher. RAM usage goes up to 1.9 out of 2 gb before crashing although no process seems to use that amount of memory in the windows task manager. i seriously hope this leak gets fixed.