Struggling with long path names

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

rdrummond

Struggling with long path names

Post by rdrummond »

Since using both version 4 final and the current 5 beta I've noticed a problem with using smart download with long pathnames.

Previously, if a total pathname was too long, then NL would drop that file into the default download directory. Now, all I seem to get is :

10:34:49 PM !Save Thread Error !! <System Error. Code: 3.
The system cannot find the path specified>

and the file isn't saved at all.

Any idea why this change of behaviour?

Cheers

Core_F

Post by Core_F »

Want to push this a little.

I let Newsleecher download for a few hours and as I came back all I had were empty folders and a log full of:

<System Error. Code: 3.
The system cannot find the path specified>

That has to solved another way. Not saving the file seems like the worst option.
··· Logic Is The Faith Of The Future ···

Core_F

Post by Core_F »

*push*

Because it just happened again...

toilofday

Post by toilofday »

turn off the automated extract features, then manually extract to a specified folder that you name(hint, make it a small name).

Think about where you are extracting to as well. If your burried 4 folders deep, all that is going to add characters. You get 260 for c://...user/download/...whatever

So if somebody was stupid and named there file: The_best_new_move_ever_razor_proper_teevee_douche_Ilikethelooksofmyowntypingandplugs_harry_potter_7.rar

try saving to the C drive and them manually moving.

It's all up to you on this part.

toilofday

Post by toilofday »

It's not leecher. It's windows. There's a character limit for path name.

Core_F

Post by Core_F »

toilofday wrote:turn off the automated extract features, then manually extract to a specified folder that you name(hint, make it a small name).
It doesn't only happen at the R'n'E part, it also happens for the normal download. Then all I have is an empty folder with the newsleecher temp files in it.
I wouldn't really mind, if R'n'E wouldn't work for that part, extracting manually isn't really a problem. But only having the temp files, without being able to use them, that's a problem.
It's all up to you on this part.
I have to disagree with you on this part. I know that the root cause of this problems is a windows limitation. But I am not directly using windows at this time, I am using Newsleecher, which creates the folders and files.

As a dummy-user I actually shouldn't even care about windows limitations, as a user I want to press the download button and have my files in the destination folder at the end.
It's the part of the software engineer to make that happen. The current way is not user friendly, as it won't give me any options. All I have is a error message in the log, but I have no way to change the save destination (not R'n'E destination) for files that are already in the temp folder of newsleecher (at least I didn't find a way).

Better solution:
Newsleecher should be able to detect long filename/foldername problems and either cut the names automatically or to prompt the user for a different location / different foldername.

Chris777

Post by Chris777 »

I would like to bump this, as I have the same problem. I understand its a limitation of windows but Newsleecher could easily fix this by checking the full path length and triming the new download folder to fit or defaulting to the main download folder.
This happens to me when I hit Leech>Smart from superSearch. This is a big bug as its wastes the users time and bandwidth and should and could easily be fixed. How do I go about submitting a bug report to get it fixed?

Chris

Crand

Post by Crand »

Chris777 wrote:How do I go about submitting a bug report to get it fixed?

Chris
Don't waste your breath. We've been trying to tell them about this bug for almost two years and they haven't done JACK SHIIT about it.

And people shouldn't try to define this problem as a Windows "limitation" as if it were a Windows problem. That's like saying you ran your car into a brick wall, then blame it for limitating your car's speed. They know the maximum filename length for Windows and they choose to write a string that violates that limitation instead of validating it beforehand.

Chris777

Post by Chris777 »

If what you say is right, its pretty sad that such a big bug has gone unfixed. I should be able to right click and download a post with out having to worry about it not working 80% of the time. And when I do forget to check I pay for it by wasting my usnetservers bandwidth, my ISPs bandwidth and my time. I have been a user of NewsLeecher for years, so I am going to try posting a bug report but sadly if this isnt fixed soon my money will be going to Newsbin very soon.

PhilGart

Use a good renamer tool

Post by PhilGart »

As for this kinda tedious task I use a 3rd party app that can handle the renaming first

I downloaded it at http://longpathtool.com/ and go about the task at hand

Has saved me tons of hours!

Crand

Post by Crand »

Holy crap. I can't believe it. They finally fixed this stupid bug. Anybody else notice that downloads that violate the maximum length get dropped into your download folder's root? Not the ideal solution but at least I don't have the raging anger caused by a bunch of empty downloads. I was going to say "thanks" but instead I'll say...

ABOUT DAMN TIME! NOW GET BACK TO WORK!