upload file to news group

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

brantleyrd

upload file to news group

Post by brantleyrd »

Im new to your forum and also to newsleecher would like some info on how to upload files using newsleecher. :)

Tigggger

Post by Tigggger »

NL only offers limited posting for simple text and replies.

For uploading Power Post is the best, you can get it here

elite

Post by elite »

It would be cool if newsleecher incorporated powerpost code into it - I believe that powerpost is source-code free (or at least chris (the author of powerpost 2000 and 2003/2004) would be glad to talk and negotiate some thing through)

The-Source

Post by The-Source »

elite wrote:It would be cool if newsleecher incorporated powerpost code into it - I believe that powerpost is source-code free (or at least chris (the author of powerpost 2000 and 2003/2004) would be glad to talk and negotiate some thing through)
If they do that then they must make the source code of NL also open. :P

Icefreez

Post by Icefreez »

And then spiril can't charge for NL. So I guess it will never happen
- Icefreez

OtakuCODE

Post by OtakuCODE »

That depends entirely upon the license. If it is licensed under the restrictive GPL, then yes, the code could not be incorporated into Newsleecher without also releasing Newsleecher code. You could still charge whatever you wanted for it, you just have to make the code available for free (which if course means someone else would compile it and make it available for free and destroy your customer base, but nonetheless you COULD charge for it ;).

If, however, it is available under some other license, like the LGPL, the code can be used freely and you can do whatever you want with it, including putting it in your app and selling the app closed-source.

If it is GPL, not all hope is lost though. If Newsleecher offered some sort of plugin capability, posting through Powerpost could be supported through a plugin and nobodys licensing would have to change.
---
OtakuCODE

OtakuCODE

Post by OtakuCODE »

I just downloaded the Powerpost 2000 source code and checked out its readme. It is not licensed under any sort of "official" license. The author says that any modified versions of powerpost must be freeware. Whether incorporating the code into another app would constitute a "modified version" is sort of up in the air. Due to various things, legally, it would probably be OK to stick the powerpost code inside of Newsleecher.

But the legal thing is not always the right thing to do. I wouldn't recommend taking the guys code and using it unless he was OK with it being included in a commercial product. He is the author after all, and has the right to determine how his work is licensed and used. Yes, it would be nice to have Newsleecher with the robust posting capabilities of powerpost, but we can't let our desires override the wishes of the original author, we have no right to use his code in a way which he does not see fit.
---
OtakuCODE