Misnamed Files

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

bigolyt

Misnamed Files

Post by bigolyt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:02 am

Is there an option that will fix the misnamed files?

Seems a lot of newer releases are renaming folders, and rar's to keep them on the NG's longer, but NL wont rename them automatically under the extract and repair option....

Once I open the par file and manually rename the files, NL extracts it and deletes the rars though

max2

Re: Misnamed Files

Post by max2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 pm

bigolyt wrote:Is there an option that will fix the misnamed files?

Seems a lot of newer releases are renaming folders, and rar's to keep them on the NG's longer, but NL wont rename them automatically under the extract and repair option....

Once I open the par file and manually rename the files, NL extracts it and deletes the rars though
I noticed the same thing. Even with the latest beta.

rTiGd2

Post by rTiGd2 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:42 pm

I seem to remember this was something listed in the roadmap (fixing of misnamed files)

bigolyt

Post by bigolyt » Fri May 03, 2013 5:00 am

Beta version maybe?

WhatALeech

Why is this not fixed?!

Post by WhatALeech » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:46 pm

I'm surprised this is still an issue. I use QuickPar 1.3, a program from 2004, to Monitor and AutoRepair downloaded files. It will rename the files, when Newsleecher gets confused. Works everytime for me....

bigolyt

Post by bigolyt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:51 pm

The thing is you have to manually run quick par , there's no automation behind the renaming within newsleecher.

WhatALeech

Post by WhatALeech » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:58 pm

bigolyt,

I 100% agree with you. Poor wording on my point. I am surprised that this has not been fixed as a program from 2004 does it with no problems.

Funny enough, my Newsleecher expired a few years ao, and while I still use it, I refuse to upgrade until I see this issue fixed in the new feature list.

Came across this post when checking to see if I was the only one that though this was annoyed by this!

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:04 pm

We are working on this issue but it is more difficult than you would think.

Other PAR2 applications, including ours, is that it only is looking for the filenames that are included in the PAR2 index table. The reason that QuickPar works is because it has the ability to scan all files in the folder looking for any useable segments. This is fine when the folder contains pretty much just the files from that archive but do that in a download folder with hundreds or thousands of files and your CPU and IO will climb to where the computer is not responding. I even have a PAR2 application that has this 'feature' and it always pops up a warning message when there are many other files in the same folder.

So until we can come up with a good method that doesn't bog down your system, you will need to manually resolve the renamed files.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

AlwaysAWOL

Post by AlwaysAWOL » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:20 pm

We certainly do need this feature.

I would suggest putting it as an option under the Download Settings, and only making it available if "Save to NZB Subfolder" is also checked. As this will be a new folder for every download, there should be no problem with the number of files in the folder.

Newsleecher could also check the number of files in the current folder, and if over a certain number, say 500, pop up a warning about extensive CPU usage, and ask if the user wants to continue.

That should cover all the issues mentioned in the previous post. Thank you in advance for adding it. I will renew as soon as I see it in the feature list!

AWOL

digitalman

Post by digitalman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:02 pm

Smudge wrote:We are working on this issue but it is more difficult than you would think.

Other PAR2 applications, including ours, is that it only is looking for the filenames that are included in the PAR2 index table. The reason that QuickPar works is because it has the ability to scan all files in the folder looking for any useable segments. This is fine when the folder contains pretty much just the files from that archive but do that in a download folder with hundreds or thousands of files and your CPU and IO will climb to where the computer is not responding. I even have a PAR2 application that has this 'feature' and it always pops up a warning message when there are many other files in the same folder.

So until we can come up with a good method that doesn't bog down your system, you will need to manually resolve the renamed files.
I would like to see this issue re-addressed if possible. I believe your supposition on how multipar handles this issue and how Newsleecher should handle this is off base.

The methodology for this would seem very simple to me, Par has a CRC for each file in the set. WHen you want to download a set of files with NL and have R&E activated then NL downloads the PAR file first with all of the CRC's and checks each file as it is downloaded. When NL has a PAR file list in memory and the first file is downloaded it should simply calculate the CRC and if that matches a filename in the PAR file then you simply rename it to "file1.rar" or whatever and your done. Then you wait for the next file to finish downloaded and do it again.

You are making the supposition that multipar does which is all files are already downloaded and It needs to scan every file in the folder. This is not the case with NL as it is downloading the files one at a time while your PAR code is waiting for each to complete so it can check it for needed repair.

I hope I explained this properly as i feel this is a really easy fix on your end to have NL rename files as they are recieved and CRC compared.

Thanks and keep up the great work on this great piece of software!

BernieG

Any news about this feature ?

Post by BernieG » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:42 pm

Hello
any news about this feature as most posters use this method to post files
so NL will download all Par2 files and will not be able to rename .

Thank you

BernieG

Post by BernieG » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:45 pm

i would add
the crc trick mentioned above is good
but what happened when file is damaged and therefore crc is wrong
it happened to me many times that i add to point the file to quickpar
then qp was able to repair it i'm not sure this is that easy to automatize .
just my two cents .

Vincent9756

Post by Vincent9756 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:07 pm

The CRC trick seems better than what we have. Worst case, for damaged files, NewsLeecher wouldn't be able to recognize them and download repair blocks and fix everything. If you have a good news service, it won't happen that often.

Right now, NewsLeecher downloads all the repair blocks and still can't fix anything. Whenever I download one of these posts, I have to:

1. Turn off Newsleecher repair.

2. Remove all the PARs so newsleecher can't download them.

3. Keep QuickPar running while NewsLeecher downloads so that the files get renamed.

As soon as the files are downloaded (and renamed by QuickPar), R&E proceeds to extract.
------------

I'm using v5.0 Beta 16 of NewsLeecher that's basically free (with SuperSearch). I would pay again in a minute if you guys can this to work. There are no other features I need. Please, please, please do something soon. I'd love to give you some money for this.

---
P.S. When you have something working for this feature, please put that info in the "Latest NewsLeecher News" notes on the "News & Log" tab so I know when I can buy the product again (use BOLD and *** in the news please, I don't want to miss it). I'm really tired of the steps involved in order to download these particular posts. Thanks. :)

Vincent9756

Post by Vincent9756 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:05 pm

I have a solution for those of you that download a high volume of these misnamed files. Yesterday, I reached my limit so last night I installed SABNZBD. I downloaded 6 tv shows with the misnamed files. It worked perfectly. It renamed all the misnamed files just like QuickPar does, unpacked everything and left me with a working MKV file. I didn't have to get involved at all.

I do like NewsLeecher better and I'm not suggesting that you swtich to SABNZBD for everything, but if you download a lot of these posts, you may want use SBANZBD for those because it will save you a lot of time.

Also, many of the WEB-DL shows I download don't have an NFO posted but the poster includes it in the PAR set. SABNZBD was also smart enough to only download only one repair block to recreate it, even though the files were misnamed.

max2

Post by max2 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:32 am

Vincent9756 wrote:I have a solution for those of you that download a high volume of these misnamed files. Yesterday, I reached my limit so last night I installed SABNZBD. I downloaded 6 tv shows with the misnamed files. It worked perfectly. It renamed all the misnamed files just like QuickPar does, unpacked everything and left me with a working MKV file. I didn't have to get involved at all.

I do like NewsLeecher better and I'm not suggesting that you swtich to SABNZBD for everything, but if you download a lot of these posts, you may want use SBANZBD for those because it will save you a lot of time.

Also, many of the WEB-DL shows I download don't have an NFO posted but the poster includes it in the PAR set. SABNZBD was also smart enough to only download only one repair block to recreate it, even though the files were misnamed.
I been saying this for years now lol.