Newsleecher not starting up

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

stukykdy

Newsleecher not starting up

Post by stukykdy » Thu May 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi guys, had the same problem about a month ago and followed this advice which solved my problem.

Smudge wrote:

Perhaps the window is being drawn off the main screen.
You can either manually move the window back to the main screen or delete the setup.dat configuration file as detailed below.

Perhaps one of your configuration files is corrupted.

If you are using 4.0 or later, you can hold down F12 when starting the application and it will ask which configuration files you wish to reset. Start with just resetting the main setup.dat configuration file.

If using an earlier version, you will need to manually remove the setup.dat file. You can find the location and explanation of each configuration file at viewtopic.php?t=6766

If that doesn't resolve the problem, try moving all of the .dat files out of the configuration data directory and run NewsLeecher again. If there error goes away then it was one of those files. You could move a few of the files back in until you find the corrupt file.

Uninstalling and reinstalling will not remove the configuration files.

However, same solution is not working now. Pc had shut down overnight for windows update. Could this be the problem? Any ideas?

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Sat May 25, 2013 11:02 pm

If the F12 doesn't fix it then another config file that isn't removed is causing the issue. You will need to manually remove the config files.

You can find the location and explanation of each configuration file at viewtopic.php?t=6766
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Abbadon2

Post by Abbadon2 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:33 am

Hey Guys
Got the same problem like stukykdy.
Problem:
After windowsupdate Newsleecher didn't start anymore. I got no error massage or anything else. But the "newleecher.exe" is running according to the windows taskmanager.
I tried:
Pressing F12 during start ---> nothing happend. I uninstalled Newsleecher, and deleted all the files in the install dir + all files in the %APPDATA% folder. Restated windows and reinstalled Newsleecher. --> Still nothing =(
I also search the registri, but didn't found any entires for newsleecher.

Any idears what I can do? Oh and sorry about my bad english ;-)

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:36 am

Check the Windows "Application"event log for any errors, might be a good first port of call
Please note: I am NOT official newsleecher support.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:46 am

Also check your Firewall/Antivirus software logs. Perhaps it thinks NewsLeecher has a virus and isn't allowing it to run properly.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Abbadon2

Post by Abbadon2 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks for the good ideas. and your time guys!
I tried a reinstallation without running Bitdefender & Spybot SND in background, but NL still doesn't show anything at startup. The newsleecher.exe appers in the windows taskmanager, but thats it. There where nothing unexpected in the windows event log. =( I also checked the Bitdefender logs, but didn't found anything. (what a suprise^^)
Any other good ideas?
The only workaround i can think about ist running NL in a VM, but I'm not a fan about this solution =(

Abbadon2

Post by Abbadon2 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Running NL now in a virtual maschie and everything works fine. Tahnks for your help guys =)

delta7

Post by delta7 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:09 am

Hi, I've recently had the same issue too. NL splash screen and GUI aren't displayed but a Newsleecher.exe process is listed in Task Manager. I'm using Window 8 Pro 64bit and Newsleecher 6.0 Beta 2. The problem is intermittent but seems to have happened more frequently of late.

I've found that if I reboot and then retry (i.e. if NL fails to start reboot and retry again) then after a few attempts NL will start up correctly.

I tried F12 but nothing happened. I couldn't see anything related in the Windows Logs or Antivirus logs.

If NL has a problem / detects a corrupt file does it log anything anywhere? It would be useful if there was somewhere specific to look if NL found a problem.

Abbadon2 wrote:Hey Guys
Got the same problem like stukykdy.
Problem:
After windowsupdate Newsleecher didn't start anymore. I got no error massage or anything else. But the "newleecher.exe" is running according to the windows taskmanager.
I tried:
Pressing F12 during start ---> nothing happend. I uninstalled Newsleecher, and deleted all the files in the install dir + all files in the %APPDATA% folder. Restated windows and reinstalled Newsleecher. --> Still nothing =(
I also search the registri, but didn't found any entires for newsleecher.

Any idears what I can do? Oh and sorry about my bad english ;-)