Is V5 no longer being developed? Do I move on to V6?

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

capntripz

Is V5 no longer being developed? Do I move on to V6?

Post by capntripz »

I am having a lot of problems with V5 beta 2. Now that V6 beta 2 is out, it begs the question of whether version 6 is the only version being developed. If no more 5, then I will move on to 6, though version 6 seems a bit "self serving" for Newsleecher's new hosting plans. Since I am not on those plans, I can't really use a lot of the new features, but 5b2 consistently crashes. This is not about fixing 5, or even my troubles. It is about the road map for NL's future and how that is going to play out with Giganews hosting. I don't know which way to run, but something has got to get better or it will force me to move to another client (which after so many years with NL is not my desire.) Not posting to stir up trouble, just would like to hear from some of the users of V6 and/or the NL service plan so I could know where we are going with all this.

Thanks to everyone that will chip in on this post.

Capn.

corrosive23

Re: Is V5 no longer being developed? Do I move on to V6?

Post by corrosive23 »

capntripz wrote:I am having a lot of problems with V5 beta 2. Now that V6 beta 2 is out, it begs the question of whether version 6 is the only version being developed. If no more 5, then I will move on to 6, though version 6 seems a bit "self serving" for Newsleecher's new hosting plans. Since I am not on those plans, I can't really use a lot of the new features, but 5b2 consistently crashes. This is not about fixing 5, or even my troubles. It is about the road map for NL's future and how that is going to play out with Giganews hosting. I don't know which way to run, but something has got to get better or it will force me to move to another client (which after so many years with NL is not my desire.) Not posting to stir up trouble, just would like to hear from some of the users of V6 and/or the NL service plan so I could know where we are going with all this.

Thanks to everyone that will chip in on this post.

Capn.
Well you are about 10 or so versions behind the curve.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

I've never had any major problems with the betas, inc the v6 line... So I would say, go for the latest beta, and see how you get on with it.
Please note: I am NOT official newsleecher support.

Shalom2010

Post by Shalom2010 »

For a full version list see here:

http://www.newsleecher.com/old/
Best Regards

Steven...Chigwell, Essex

capntripz

Re: Is V5 no longer being developed? Do I move on to V6?

Post by capntripz »

Well you are about 10 or so versions behind the curve.[/quote]

Actually, no. I am on 5.2b2 which I believe is the latest in the 5 series. My bad for causing some confusion.

Still have to wonder if V6x.x is where all the development will be. If you have V6, it would seem that the development cycle for 5 was ended.

I will give V6 a run and hope we don't blow anything up.

Thanks all,
Capn.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

There are [usually] only 2 product lines generally available, the final and the beta. The latest beta is the product being developed no matter the version name/number. It is rare that a change/fix developed in the beta is back ported to the final. Usually it is part of the next release. We just don't have the resources to develop multiple branches.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.