OFFLINE (connect on demand)/IDLE (transfers scanned) Alternating Error Message

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

bweb

OFFLINE (connect on demand)/IDLE (transfers scanned) Alternating Error Message

Post by bweb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:00 am

I started getting this message on NL6.5 Beta1. Happily downloaded 6.5Beta2. Worked fine for a day, then dropped from 8 to four bots downloading and then dropped to no bots downloading. NL evidently is connecting for brief snatches because Super Search will return a few items, but polling froups for new messages returns nothing and it will not connect long enough for either queue or search results to download.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:45 am

Check the date and time on your system. We've seen recently where if you have the wrong time, it has problems making connections.

Also try using the PortQry tool to check that there isn't anything blocking the connections.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

bweb

OFFLINE/IDLE

Post by bweb » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:31 pm

PortQry tool was listening after download and run w/suggested command line. System time was synched w/NIST.gov already. System was rebooted and problem was still there. After rebooting a second time, NL ia downloading on all 8 bots. Thanks for the info/help/

sirspamalot

Post by sirspamalot » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:31 am

I'm having the same issue. I have items queued, newsleecher flashes all bots very quickly going from "Offline (connect on demand) to "connecting (something I can't read)" to "Idle (transfers scanned)" and back to offline waiting for demand.

The Log is completely useless. Just a bunch of disconnected from server (10053).

Grabit works perfectly fine with the same server (Newsleecher's for crying out loud and same settings. The files even came from an exported NZB from Newsleecher from supersearch.

I dumped Giganews for this because supersearch used to be better (actually so far I'm not sure it still is as far superior as it was), but when I can't use the client for downloads, it's a bit annoying.

Any ideas anybody?

Ignitionnet

Post by Ignitionnet » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:37 pm

Same exact issue. From 10 working bots to 4 to 1.

Ignitionnet

Post by Ignitionnet » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:53 pm

Fixed.

The issue is Avast! Antivirus blocking the connections.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=118044.0 has instructions on how to fix it, however the file may not be in the place suggested, it may be in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast

That's about it.

sirspamalot

Post by sirspamalot » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:24 pm

Not for the rest of us. Not using Avast, the problem persists regardless of the state of the firewall or antivirus, and, as stated, Grabit works just fine.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:59 pm

I think all things considered this is pointing to an unusual configuration on your machine/connection rather than NewsLeecher.
Please note: I am NOT official newsleecher support.

Juanito1979

Post by Juanito1979 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Dear all!

First time asking for assistance but I'm really stuck here, so I'll gladly take any advice from you experts! :)
I'm not creating a new topic because this one seems just fine, my issue looking very similar to the one described here above.

There it goes:

I didn't update anything, make any changes or so in Newsleecher, my computer or any program; At least none than I'm aware of, but maybe a background program did...
Well one day, I tried to download something with NewsLeecher. The items go in the queue but the 12 bots in NewsLeecher flash very quickly from "Offline (connect on demand)" to "Idle (Transfers Scanned)" to "Connecting to Server" in a continuous loop.

I have checked the NewsLeecher settings and my username and password are correct. The server address as well (news.usenetserver.com).

I have checked at my usenet service provider and when logging in, my status is "active", so everything seems fine on that regards.

I have checked at my firewall "Microsoft Security Essentials" and added "NewsLeecher.exe" as an exeption in the "Excluded Files and Locations".

I have reset my modem.

So what should I do now?

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:02 am

First check that your provider isn't having problems. Their server status page should have some info.

What antivirus program do you use? Often this kind of change is due to an antivirus update.

You can also check the ports are open and responding properly by using the PortQuery tool that I linked to at the top of this thread and at the top of the tech support forum section.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

milton187

Post by milton187 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:56 am

I have the same problem started about a week ago.
Constantly alternates between idle and transferring. Anyone figure this out?
I tried shutting off the Zonealarm. No help.

lebrand

Post by lebrand » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:46 pm

ymmv, but what fixed it for me was deleting everything in the Queue tab, then restarting Newsleecher.

This issue had started occurring when I upgraded to a newer Beta version and I had some articles in the Queue which had been removed from the server, the clearing of the queue and restarting fixed it for me.

zzcook99

Re: OFFLINE (connect on demand)/IDLE (transfers scanned) Alt

Post by zzcook99 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:29 pm

As Lebrand suggested clear your queue, restart Newsleecher. Worked for me.

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:03 pm

Great - thanks for the update.
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

tintoreto

Post by tintoreto » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:16 pm

I have the same problem. Some downloads work OK, but for some downloads NL downloads only some of the parts. I have installed version 5 and it works. It could be a bug in later versions.