Backing up entire queue (extreme sizes)

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

Sangus

Backing up entire queue (extreme sizes)

Post by Sangus » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:11 am

So I'm going to be doing a new OS installation shortly here, and am looking at the download queue that I have accumulated over the last few years which has steadily increased over time. I am in the realm of 10 terabytes in my queue, and obviously went to great lengths to mark everything.

If you are wondering why I allowed my queue to get that large, I simply didn't have the hard drive space to support my data needs, so I continuously put it on the back burner until I could actually develop a system that could support it.

Long story short (tl;dr) I am trying to theorize how I could get the download queue in its entirety to the new system without losing anything. I am worried that simply copying the entire newsleecher file structure over won't do the trick. Exporting an NZB fails when at even a couple hundred gigs. What would you suggest doing? :?:

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:38 pm

What I would do:

-If an article download is in progress, let that finish, and then pause the remainder of articles so that the only items in the queue are not partially downloaded.
-Close NL down on the source computer
-Backup the entire %AppData%\Newsleecher folder to somewhere on your computer in case the next step fails.
-Update Newsleecher to the latest Beta on source computer
-Check that Newsleecher is still working and the download queue is in tact.
-Close NL down on the source computer
-Download the same latest Beta version on your new computer
-Copy the %AppData%\Newsleecher state from the old computer to the new computer*
-Ensure that the folders of where the items are being downloaded to are the same and correct.
-Open up NL on the new computer and see what happens...

*Don't copy the backup you made, copy the %appData%\newsleecher folder as is, the backup is made just in case updating to the latest version breaks things.

And you should then find that things are OK....
Please note: I am NOT official newsleecher support.

Sangus

Post by Sangus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:08 am

I will give it a shot, thanks ;)