Backup the config data only?

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

crocolord

Backup the config data only?

Post by crocolord »

I want to keep backups of the config data at least, somewhere other then the same disk so if I have a disk failure, I can recover NL easily. Would just copying the backup folder meet that requirement? I'd really like to put it up in the cloud somewhere, but I don't want to upload all my cache folders because of their size. But maybe I could just copy everything but those or mark them as excluded for sync. Any suggestions otherwise on doing that?
Thanks

Quaraxkad

Re: Backup the config data only?

Post by Quaraxkad »

You'll really want a copy of the full data folder (excluding cachev4\groups). The "backup" folder only stores basic configuration data and recovering that is trivial. If you're concerned about a failing drive, then what you'll actually want is the download queue and maybe SuperSearch bookmarks and SuperLeech entires. If you just exclude the downloaded groups headers then the entire data folder is very small.

daleidat

Post by daleidat »

On the Windows Bar at the top of Windows Explorer Menu, select the following:

Tools , Select show Hidden Files

Select Users and double click the top folder.
Folder options:

Select Tools, Folder Options
View : Show Hidden Files

Go to: Windows Users: Double Click The Top Folder which should be your name or your computers name.

Double Click AppData
Double Click Roaming

Right Click Newsleacher and Select Copy

Create a NEW Folder in a New location, and Call it what you want, and Paste what you have copied into the new folder.

When and if you have to re-install, just copy and overwrite the existing new folder in your new installation . You should then have your settings back.

I have using this method since version 4 without any problems.

When you have finished, don't forget to go back to Don't show hidden folders.

Good Luck.

I hope that this helps you out.

Quaraxkad

Post by Quaraxkad »

daleidat wrote:On the Windows Bar at the top of Windows Explorer Menu, select the following:

Tools , Select show Hidden Files

Select Users and double click the top folder.
Folder options:

Select Tools, Folder Options
View : Show Hidden Files

Go to: Windows Users: Double Click The Top Folder which should be your name or your computers name.

Double Click AppData
Double Click Roaming
Or skip all of this section and just type %appdata% in your Windows Explorer address bar...

crocolord

Post by crocolord »

daleidat wrote:On the Windows Bar at the top of Windows Explorer Menu, select the following:

Double Click AppData
Double Click Roaming

Right Click Newsleacher and Select Copy

Create a NEW Folder in a New location, and Call it what you want, and Paste what you have copied into the new folder.

When and if you have to re-install, just copy and overwrite the existing new folder in your new installation . You should then have your settings back.

I have using this method since version 4 without any problems.

This would also copy the cache folders, which is what I don't want to do because I don't want to push that much data up to my cloud storage. At least, not until I get fiber. :)

But it seems like copying and excluding the cache folders it the best way to manage that.
Thanks!