NL Temporarily paused while writing downloaded data to

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

teejayh

NL Temporarily paused while writing downloaded data to

Post by teejayh » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:07 pm

Using latest released version of NL and just upgraded to Windows 10 64 bit.

When I try to download a file using NL I get this message under the Description heading:

"Temporarily paused while writing downloaded data to storage device"

If I try to close down NL I get the message:

"Finishing saving articles to disk"

Any idea what is causing this?

Quaraxkad

Re: NL Temporarily paused while writing downloaded data to

Post by Quaraxkad » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:42 pm

As the message states, articles are being downloaded faster than your drive is able to write them. NL is very inefficient in writing to disk and with either a fast connection or a slow hard drive, it can't keep up.

AntUK

Post by AntUK » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:12 pm

Quaraxkad wrote:As the message states, articles are being downloaded faster than your drive is able to write them. NL is very inefficient in writing to disk and with either a fast connection or a slow hard drive, it can't keep up.
i dont think its that problem.. (ive had that before on an older PC where it was the IDE HDD's slow speed when i was got a broadband speed increase from virgin at the time)

But i have simialr circumstances to the OP.
NL on Win 8.1 (64-bit) was fine... the odd issue.. but generally good..
upgraded to Windows 10 (64-bit) and had a lot of issues with the FINAL release i had been using.. (crashing constantly, when i tried to launch, and CTRL+DEL wouldnt close it down)
so i decided to go to the latest Beta that is currently out (v7) and hopefully my issues would be sorted..

but i had issues were..

1) passworded rars were flagged as spam (even though i set them to NOT be, as i was wanting them because i have the password)

2) the directory where the files were being downlaoded to would change... to the default.. in the middle of when it had been downlaoding (hapening multiple times a day!)

4) NL would stop.... if i started getting headers while it was downloading.... this has NEVER been an issue before....

and finally..... (as per the OP)
4) then.. the issue where it was giving me the message about cant download to the drive as it was writing... (may be a par2 issue, still not sure)a s there was plenty of space and shouldnt be any issues on a 50MB connection and writing to SATA 3 drives on a modern spec gaming PC.

never had these issues on the final. but just the beta... constantly changing from where it is/was downlaoding.. when i try to close NL. it doesnt. so you have to use task manager to close.. often when it is restarted you get bug messages untill you delete what is in the queue. (same as the OP i believe)

ECvYPhma

Post by ECvYPhma » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:53 pm

I finally updated to v7 beta 7 yesterday. Exact same issue. "Temporarily paused while writing downloaded data to storage device" Something triggers that state and and NL sticks there. The only way to close NL is a forced close via Task Manager.

BTW, the message is not triggered because of a true backlog of data. I've been downloading < 1 MB/sec, with plenty of available CPU & memory, to a SSD with lots of space.

I was using v7 Beta 4 until a day ago. I backed up (thankfully) and tried each successive version. The truth is, Beta 5, 6, and 7 all give me more errors than Beta 4 does. I might have to return to Beta 4. It has drawbacks (like the dysfunctional Explorer module), but I can live with them.

raffles1911

Post by raffles1911 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:12 pm

I had loads of problems with v7 beta 6 and 7 i ended up sticking with beta 5, until i tried the unofficial beta 8 since i tried that it's been pretty good so far it maybe worth trying ,
http://www.newsleecher.com/nl70008.ufr2.exe

ECvYPhma

Post by ECvYPhma » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:08 am

Thanks raffles for that idea. I was forced to return to Beta 4 today, but I'll probably try the unofficial beta 8 soon.

(for NL developers, Beta 5, 6, and 7 were all unusable because of the permanent "Temporarily paused" loops.)