NL not fetching group headers.

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

bkz2457

NL not fetching group headers.

Post by bkz2457 »

Recently NewsLeecher refused to get new headers [the last 2 days worth], they told me it was my "outdated" version of NewsLeecher, so I put on the latest and still no joy.
I swapped from the Euro host to the US server and I could get most of the popular groups but not all.
Btw this started over a week ago with the very slow downloads of group headers, in all other ways NL behaves perfectly.
I wont bore you with all the details but here are two of the replies.
Nothing has changed on my PC, have they got in touch? Because looking at the subjects on here it looks like its just me with a major problem, and Easynews has been superb up until last week. It works fine with nzb's.

MAY 14, 2016 | 04:35PM MDT
Chris replied:
Hello ******

Thank you for your patience. Our administrators we are able to identify an issue that was causing all groups to not return new content and that has been resolved. During this process this did find that Newsleecher in particluar is not allowing a.b.teevee to update. They are still trying to figure out why this is happening with Newsleecher alone and does not affect any other newsreader. We will provide you with an update once one is available.

In the meantime, you may want to download another free newsreader, such as GrabIt, so you are still able to access your service.

Regards,
Chris
Easynews Support

MAY 17, 2016 | 08:31AM MDT
Chris replied:
Hello ******,

Thank you for your patience. Our administrators were able to figure out why the Newsleecher software was not working with our service and they have reached out to Newsleecher for assistance with resolution of this bug.

Regards,
Chris
Easynews Support

bkz2457

Re: NL not fetching group headers.

Post by bkz2457 »

They seem quick to blame NL yet this seemed a gradual thing, and why am I the only person suffering this?

myidisnot

Post by myidisnot »

what version of NL do you have?

problem is SSL in pre version 5.0 final is hackable by the bad guys.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

The problem seems to be caused by a ( very rarely triggered ) bug in NewsLeecher. We will post a fix later today.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

bkz2457

Post by bkz2457 »

Thanks for the reply Spiril, by using the US server I can get most of what I want, only a couple of groups seem to trigger this, fortunately I can find everything else via Supersearch.

bkz2457

Post by bkz2457 »

Tried the new version [bug fix] but it still wont fetch headers from a.b.cdimage and i'm only trying to get 2 days worth.

myidisnot

Post by myidisnot »

no getting headers in certain newsgroups? yeah I so that back in 5 beta 3. sometimes you just have to give that NG up totally

bkz2457

Post by bkz2457 »

Not sure I like that idea. :(

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

bkz2457 wrote:Tried the new version [bug fix] but it still wont fetch headers from a.b.cdimage and i'm only trying to get 2 days worth.
That is actually due to another reason. Almost all articles in the a.b.cdimage group have been removed for some reason, so there's not much left to fetch in that group. To to see what's left in the group, try to right click the group and select Update Groups -> Selected : Get Latest 1.000.000 Headers from the context menu.

Though there was another small bug related to fetching headers, that has have fixed in this unofficial forum release :
https://www.newsleecher.com/nl70016.ufr1.exe

If there are still issues fetching headers in some groups with that release, pls let me know.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

bkz2457

Post by bkz2457 »

Thanks again, its not a group I use much these days, like a lot of groups it seems there is very little in them.
Using your tip worked like a charm. :)