SSL is slower than non-SSL

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

cplusd

SSL is slower than non-SSL

Post by cplusd »

I have a 300MB connection. When I connect with SSL (any of the suggested ports) I only get 200MB max. After turning off SSL I get the full 300MB.

Why is connecting thru SSL slower?

I connect to the eu server because I am from Holland.

scuba
Site Admin

Re: SSL is slower than non-SSL

Post by scuba »

Can you please test with these ssl Ports:
80 and 81
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

cplusd

Post by cplusd »

Just tried it:

SLL port 80 has max 205 Mbps
SSL port 81 has max 206 Mbps
SSL port 563 has max 206 Mbps

NON-SSL port 119 has max 291 Mbps

robena

Post by robena »

Yeah, same here. SSL maxes at 200, non SSL at 380 with a 920/240 connection.
Robert

Twelve9

Post by Twelve9 »

Newsleecher comes to a screeching halt if I use SSL and my speed fluctuates from 200kbps to zero, back and forth. If I don't use SSL, I max out my connection which is 15MB/s. Guess no one knows why? I have Tweaknews account for my access.

applejack

Post by applejack »

I was going to post this a few weeks ago, as I've been having the same issue. SSL encrypted connections fluctuate badly and top out at maybe 4 MB/s, while un-encrypted traffic tops out at just under 16 MB/s (I'm on Xfinity 150/30 service in the U.S. and using 30 bots). I'm using the Newsleecher Usenet service, which appears to be a resold Eweka / Highwinds service, and this has happened with both the final version of 7.0 and the most recent beta(s).

I know the previous poster mentioned having issues with TweakNews, but I'm not seeing that issue, at least right now. I've had a TweakNews block account for fills for awhile (kinda pointless now since they were acquired by Highwinds in 2015, but I digress), and I get the same speeds to their European servers--a consistent 9.5 MB/s--using both un-encrypted and SSL encrypted connections.

Delta41

Post by Delta41 »

Hello,

NLeecher 7.0 final - Connection SSL Eweka

The same. My normal rate is 540 kb/s and go down quickly 0 kb/s!!! I did not have this problem with version 5.

Twelve9

Post by Twelve9 »

Just tried today with a dl and SSL seems to be working properly, nor does Newsleecher run slow. Dunno what happened but hopefully it stays this way!

Though now my speed limit setting doesn't want to obey...

Edit:
Speed limit seems to be working now

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba »

Twelve9 wrote:Just tried today with a dl and SSL seems to be working properly, nor does Newsleecher run slow. Dunno what happened but hopefully it stays this way!

Edit:
Good news! :D
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

cplusd

Post by cplusd »

Twelve9 wrote:Just tried today with a dl and SSL seems to be working properly, nor does Newsleecher run slow. Dunno what happened but hopefully it stays this way!

Edit:
With me it's still 180 megs with SSL and 300+ without SSL :?

robena

Post by robena »

Just made a try with my Newsleecher account and 30 bots with 2 clients:

- Using the Newsleecher client, I got 220 Mbs.

- Using Newsbin pro 6.70, 480 Mbs.

Clearly, Newsleecher 7.0 has a problem with SSL and very fast connections.
Robert

warlockv2

Post by warlockv2 »

Something is wrong... but i tried about 5 versions of newsleecher...

im on a 190mbit/s connection (roughly 22-23 MB/s) i ws getting this for years, but starting last week or 2 weeks ago, If i have ssl on, my programs runs like absolute dirt, and my speed is around 10-12mb/s, if i turn it off, i instantly get 22-23MB/s like i always have, but iv always used ssl. This is very strange. iv never had any issue liek this, i also noticed i get "idle (transfer scanned)" ALOT now, and it seems to be messing with the download.

There is an issue going on, where its developed from i do not know, and yes iv tried all ports, honestly, that doesnt do anything, and yes iv tried all servers, again, it doesn't do anything. i also on a MORE than capable pc for using 30 bots, with ssl.... while the program runs like absolute garbage, my pc stats indicate its hardly using any resources.

warlockv2

Post by warlockv2 »

also. just tested with sabnzbd and with 30 ssl connectiong using my newsleecher account and ssl, i maxed out my connection within seconds. so... newsleecher has a problem. no other way to confirm this.

enigmad

Post by enigmad »

I have the same issue with SSL connections. I have a FIOS 300MB connection and was getting my full d/l speed of about 36-37MB/S until about the 2nd or 3rd Beta version. with SSL. Now I get about 25MB. When I went to the 7.0 Final version I still had the issue. If I disable SSL I get my connection speed back up to the 36-37MB,

robena

Post by robena »

Yes, at the moment I'm using Newsleecher search (and service), and then export the NZB to download with Newsbin at twice the speed.

You guys did a wonderful job with the UI and Supersearch, which are vastly superior to the competition, but you do need to acknowledge and fix the speed issue!
Robert