How to assign more RAM & CPU to NL

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

ECvYPhma

How to assign more RAM & CPU to NL

Post by ECvYPhma » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:24 am

Can I force Newsleecher to use more of the generous CPU & RAM resources available to it? NL poorly handles my large newsgroups, throwing out memory errors and bottlenecking during header downloads. Meanwhile, 20 GB available RAM sits there begginging for NL to use it. Total CPU use stays under 20% during NL's most intense CPU spikes. Hence the reason for my question. NL behaves like it's running out of resources. How can I make it "see" and use more of the PC's potential? TIA.

kteague

Re: How to assign more RAM & CPU to NL

Post by kteague » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:22 pm

In Windows, you can certainly give it more "priority" than other apps as well as set the CPU affinity. Priority is self-explanatory. Affinity lets you configure which CPU (in a SMP (Symmetric Multi Processing) to use. In yesterday's world, that would be a computer with multiple CPUs. In today's world, that also includes computers with Intel HyperThreading and Intel or AMD CPU's with multiple cores. Before we dive in to that, it's important to understand how an application runs when it's not tuned to take advantage of an SMP system. For ease of making this conversation understandable, the term "CPU" will be synonymous with a CPU core, or a hyperthread. We'll also pretend we're on a computer with no hyperthreading and with 2 cores which we'll call CPU1 and CPU2.

When you start one application that isn't SMP aware, it will run on one CPU. For example, lets say this application is Notepad. It doesn't use much in the way of resources at all, leaving more resources on CPU1 available. Now, lets say you start Newsleecher (which you claim is consuming a lot of resources). If nothing else started in the background between the time of you starting Notepad to you starting Newsleecher, Newsleecher will then consume cycles on CPU2. Then lets say you start up Wordpad and it begins to use cycles on CPU1. Now you start your web browser... it'll consume cycles on CPU2, and each tab you open up consumes more memory and CPU cycles.

Keep in mind that this is a hypothetical situation. On today's operating systems, we have background services that can start/stop on their own, so it's a little difficult to know if a CPU that isn't under a load now won't be under a load 5 minutes from now. Also, I'm running Windows 10... previous versions of Windows are similar, but different in the layout of where to find things. That said, here's how to see your CPU load and set affinity and priority:

1. Open your task manager.
2. Right-click in the area where all of your processes are showing and select "Go to details". This will open a tab named "Details" which lists all processes by their executable file name.
3. Locate NewsLeecher.exe in the list, right-click on it, and select Set Priority or Set Affinity.
Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT set priority to real time. I don't recommend HIGH either. While it may give you some nice results for NewsLeecher, your responsiveness in your windows UI will be utter crap or fail to respond at all.

You can also view your CPU usage using Resource Monitor.
1. Click on the Performance tab.
2. At the bottom of the window, click on "Open Resource Monitor".
3. Click on the CPU tab.
This will show you a graph for each CPU and give you an idea of the load on each of them. In older versions of Windows, all you had to do was double-click on the CPU graph in task manager and it would toggle between a single CPU graph (which outlines the overall load between all CPUs) and a view that shows an individual graph for each CPU.

Hope this helps some.

ECvYPhma

Post by ECvYPhma » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:30 am

kteague, thank you for giving so much of your time to write that reply. At your suggestion, I played with both those approaches. Sadly, they don't help NL. It stubbornly refuses to use more than 15-20% of CPU and 4GB of memory. I had hoped to force NL to utilize more CPU & RAM, but perhaps the limits are hard-coded in NL.

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:39 am

Sorry that didn't work out for your. Perhaps your bottleneck is with your storage device. I've ran NL on a 100Mb line while doing data to a 5400 RPM external USB drive and it had to pause itself to let data flush to disk.

I recently had some problems with adding items in bulk and NL failed to perform repair and extract on a lot of the data. I'm close to dumping NL and may move to using SABNZBd. I'll probably use NL for SuperSearch only.

Noir

Post by Noir » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:22 pm

nl is a 32 bit program it cant use more than 4gb of ram they would need to make a 64 bit version to get past that.

PCZ2

Post by PCZ2 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:56 am

So why isn't there a 64bit version. ?

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba » Fri May 19, 2017 9:57 am

PCZ2 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 11:56 am
So why isn't there a 64bit version. ?
I have talked to the Development and there is a good chance that there will be a 64 bit version of Newsleecher 8. :D
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.