Seriously, is NewsLeecher DYING... or DEAD?

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

shrake

Seriously, is NewsLeecher DYING... or DEAD?

Post by shrake » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:23 pm

I've been an avid user of NewsLeecher for a LONG time, and am saddened by the lack of updates. And the SuperSearch search results are absolutely pitiful!

I've looked into the other Usenet providers and their newsreader clients are terrible compared to NewsLeecher.

Can an administrator please be honest with us and let us know what's going on?

bkz2457

Re: Seriously, is NewsLeecher DYING... or DEAD?

Post by bkz2457 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:17 pm

With obsfuscated files becoming the norm Supersearch will become redundant except for really old posts.
Recently it has failed to find stuff I eventually managed to find on my own, so unless it can decode as well its redundant for me.

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:18 am

shrake wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:23 pm
I've been an avid user of NewsLeecher for a LONG time, and am saddened by the lack of updates. And the SuperSearch search results are absolutely pitiful!

I've looked into the other Usenet providers and their newsreader clients are terrible compared to NewsLeecher.

Yes...i can be honest. The version 8 is on it's way....it has taken a long time (and yes way to long). Check the download page later this month :)
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

shrake

Post by shrake » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:05 pm

scuba wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:18 am
shrake wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Yes...i can be honest. The version 8 is on it's way....it has taken a long time (and yes way to long). Check the download page later this month :)
Thank you!

osoamazin

Post by osoamazin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:04 am

Later which month? Did I miss a new version or is it delayed again?

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:05 am

osoamazin wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:04 am
Later which month? Did I miss a new version or is it delayed again?
A little bit but not much. There will be some last testing in the alpha group and then release.
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

galronn

Post by galronn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:27 pm

It's been fun and great while it lasted... But with slow SSL speed and lack and software support with the latest obfuscation methods, i think you're about to lost a customer of many years. There are many other software \ Usenet out there and after many months of waiting, it's time to say good bye :-(

shrake

Post by shrake » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:43 pm

galronn wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:27 pm
It's been fun and great while it lasted... But with slow SSL speed and lack and software support with the latest obfuscation methods, i think you're about to lost a customer of many years. There are many other software \ Usenet out there and after many months of waiting, it's time to say good bye :-(
Unfortunately, I agree with you, but I haven't found any other Usenet clients out there that are as good as NewsLeecher, in terms of user interface and SuperSearch (and I've tried most of them!). Please share if you've found something better!

tt4079

Post by tt4079 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:03 pm

I did post alternatives but my posts and account were deleted with no explanation of why. Then my account was reinstated with all previous posts missing.

NL crashes quite frequently. NL SS at times shows no return when searching on binsearch finds what you want. NL SS shows results but occasionally when you download they are corrupt and incorrect but again search on binsearch, save as nzb and what you want downloads fine. Contacting support is hit and miss with sometimes a reply and other times ignored. The forum is beyond a joke filled with spam that sits there for days at times. Why is anyone allowed to post as a new person without the posts being agreed first? It all comes across as amateurish and half-hearted. I think on a poll of sites and software I use I would vote NL as worst customer support to be honest.

NL is outdated and run by people completely out of their depth. Its a shame they cannot bring someone on board who knows how to do what needs doing and get a new version released. NL should and could be so much better. This is not said to be harsh or unfair, but from frustration that software that should be great and leading is just about ok and support that is way below average of where it should be.

bkz2457

Post by bkz2457 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:21 pm

SABnzbd

Its web based and so easy to use its untrue, automatically unpacks stuff too.
It doesn't have everything NewsLeecher does, but I'm using it more than ever, you just need an nzb and you're away.

galronn

Post by galronn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:54 pm

shrake wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:43 pm

Unfortunately, I agree with you, but I haven't found any other Usenet clients out there that are as good as NewsLeecher, in terms of user interface and SuperSearch (and I've tried most of them!). Please share if you've found something better!
I'm still using NL for SuperLeech and SuperSearch, because you're right, i think that NL is still the best. but for everything else i started using NZBGet, take a bit to setup but it does a lot more then simple downloads of NZBs, and after i've configure it, i don't think i could go back to NL.. Only time will tell what happens with NL and i'm not waiting.

pka4916

Post by pka4916 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:16 pm

bkz2457 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:21 pm
SABnzbd

Its web based and so easy to use its untrue, automatically unpacks stuff too.
It doesn't have everything NewsLeecher does, but I'm using it more than ever, you just need an nzb and you're away.
But still end up with the $#R0er009403294320 names... how to get those normal with SABnzb ?

JimBob976

Post by JimBob976 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:29 am

bkz2457 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:21 pm
SABnzbd

But still end up with the $#R0er009403294320 names... how to get those normal with SABnzb ?
In SABnzbd settings under Sorting you can enable TV and/or Movie sorting and put %dn.%ext in the Sort String field... that way the file will have the same name as the directory. Or better yet if you use an indexer (like NZBPlanet that I use costs $8 a year) you can use Sonarr (for TV) and Radarr (for movies) and hook them up to SAB and then enable the Rename feature and put {Original Title} as the name which will take the name of the nzb file and rename the show or movie. The great thing about Sonarr is that you can link it to the indexer and then add a show, set resolution and whatever else you want and it will check for new episodes (and movies with Radarr) and download them automatically. I just started using this setup a few days ago so there are probably a lot more that can be done but not having to search manually and just check the series folders and have the latest episodes right there is really nice.

petitecath14

Post by petitecath14 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:11 pm

tt4079 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:03 pm
I did post alternatives but my posts and account were deleted with no explanation of why. Then my account was reinstated with all previous posts missing.

NL crashes quite frequently. NL SS at times shows no return when searching on binsearch finds what you want. NL SS shows results but occasionally when you download they are corrupt and incorrect but again search on binsearch, save as nzb and what you want downloads fine. Contacting support is hit and miss with sometimes a reply and other times ignored Travaux dépendance seniors. The forum is beyond a joke filled with spam that sits there for days at times. Why is anyone allowed to post as a new person without the posts being agreed first? It all comes across as amateurish and half-hearted. I think on a poll of sites and software I use I would vote NL as worst customer support to be honest.

NL is outdated and run by people completely out of their depth. Its a shame they cannot bring someone on board who knows how to do what needs doing and get a new version released. NL should and could be so much better. This is not said to be harsh or unfair, but from frustration that software that should be great and leading is just about ok and support that is way below average of where it should be.
I think above all that it should just moderation. After free to everyone to write what he wants on the forum, as long as it does not discredit anyone.