newsleecher speeds?

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

krayzieportagee

newsleecher speeds?

Post by krayzieportagee »

I just signed up with giganews unlimited. When i use newsleecher i get speeds between 330 and 415 when i you nzb o matic i get speeds between 400-480. Is there any reason why the downloads are slower with newsleecher? Is there something i can do to change that?

Lips
Forum Moderator

Re: newsleecher speeds?

Post by Lips »

krayzieportagee wrote:I just signed up with giganews unlimited. When i use newsleecher i get speeds between 330 and 415 when i you nzb o matic i get speeds between 400-480. Is there any reason why the downloads are slower with newsleecher? Is there something i can do to change that?
Try using a third party prgram to measure the speed and see if you still get the discrepancy. Try Netlimiter or the older free utility NetPerSec.

--
Lips

krayzieportagee

i just got netlimiter and i dont see how that has anything to do with my downloads slacking. All it should was how fast im downloading which is information i already knew. Does this program do anything else that i can benifit from?

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

krayzieportagee wrote:i just got netlimiter and i dont see how that has anything to do with my downloads slacking. All it should was how fast im downloading which is information i already knew. Does this program do anything else that i can benifit from?
The idea is to use an "impartial" meter to check the dl speed, just in case one of the programs in question is not reporting the speed correctly. Or the 2 programs may calculate the speed slightly differently.
Newsleecher does not limit the dl speed.
Are you using the same number of connections to the server(s) in both programs?
Are you testing the speeds using the exact same nzb file?
Which firewall and av are you using?
You could also try renaming the NL directory and doing a fresh install into a different directory or drive. See if this changes anything.

--
Lips

krayzieportagee

to answer some of your questions

I did use the same file on both programs to see the speed difference.
I made sure both had four connections.
The only firewall i have is the stock windows xp firewall
I have uninstalled and reinstalled nl with no differnce.

Thanks for tryin to help me out.. if you have any other ideas please let me know. I talked to one of my friends who lives in the town over from me.. he is about a 10 min drive from my house and he gets speeds of 600+kb with giganews and im running pretty much exactly what he has if not better and i can barely get a steady 450 kb and when i use nl its even less. It almost seems like something is blocking my bandwidth but i cannot think of anything. I tried disabling my firewall to see if that made a differnce and it did not. I tried directly connecting my cable modem wire directly into my pc instead of going through my router and still the same. Im out of ideas.

daphatty
Forum Moderator

Post by daphatty »

Have you tried adding more threads?

krayzieportagee

adding more threads?

salami
Forum Moderator

Post by salami »

he was referring to more connections, but since you are using giganews you can't use more than 4.

I don't have much expertise in solving such problems, since every PC I ever saw running NL was leeching with the maximum speed the line allows. From what I have seen in here, it is normally due to low system ressources or running a firewall/anti-virus software.

Some tools you could try are:

- TCP Optimizer (let's you tweak the low level network settings which affects some software differently): http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

- cFosSpeed: http://www.cfos.de/index2_e.htm

Looks like one of the hundreds of "BOOST YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION 100 TIMES!!! IT REALLY WORKS!!!" tools, but this one really works (I'm using it myself). Especially on DSL connections, it allows a much better balanced Up/Download packet ratio which results in much better latency and therefore often to more speed.

HTH

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

krayzieportagee wrote:I talked to one of my friends who lives in the town over from me.. he is about a 10 min drive from my house and he gets speeds of 600+kb with giganews and im running pretty much exactly what he has if not better and i can barely get a steady 450 kb and when i use nl its even less. It almost seems like something is blocking my bandwidth but i cannot think of anything. I tried disabling my firewall to see if that made a differnce and it did not. I tried directly connecting my cable modem wire directly into my pc instead of going through my router and still the same. Im out of ideas.
Your friend getting 150 kb more that you from the same server doesn't mean that you should be getting the same speed. For one thing, the routes to the server may be slightly or even not so slighty different. AFAIC your friend's speed does not in of itself mean that you should be getting faster speeds. Maybe you should, but I don't see this as the proof.
Now, if your network settings need improvement, this could improve your speed. Salami has recommended a couple of tools to help tweak the settings. I'm curious to see if your overall speed improves and how the 2 news clients are effected.

krayzieportagee - One more question: What kind of NIC are you using and how up-to-date are the drivers?

--
Lips

Wireless Geek

Post by Wireless Geek »

FWIW... DU Meter is another great tool for measuring bandwidth. I can't say enough good things about it. Check it out.

-- Geek

krayzieportagee

as far as measuring my bandwidth I have tried 3 different programs and they all tell me about the same thing. The problem of newsleecher downloading slower than nzb o matic still remains though.

krayzieportagee

take today for instance im downloading a funny clip from some show and on newleecher its going 390 kb's on nzb o matic its going 530 kb's same file

Semmel

Post by Semmel »

salami wrote: - TCP Optimizer (let's you tweak the low level network settings which affects some software differently): http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe
I had the same problem and tried this program now NL runs perfectly fine.
Thanks for the tip

krayzieportagee

semmel can you give me a little tutorial on what you did with this program to get your nl speeds up? Thanks

stampjerot

Post by stampjerot »

i have installd that but i can not conneced any more how can i chance it back ???

salami wrote:he was referring to more connections, but since you are using giganews you can't use more than 4.

I don't have much expertise in solving such problems, since every PC I ever saw running NL was leeching with the maximum speed the line allows. From what I have seen in here, it is normally due to low system ressources or running a firewall/anti-virus software.

Some tools you could try are:

- TCP Optimizer (let's you tweak the low level network settings which affects some software differently): http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

- cFosSpeed: http://www.cfos.de/index2_e.htm

Looks like one of the hundreds of "BOOST YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION 100 TIMES!!! IT REALLY WORKS!!!" tools, but this one really works (I'm using it myself). Especially on DSL connections, it allows a much better balanced Up/Download packet ratio which results in much better latency and therefore often to more speed.

HTH