different downloads

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

langeryutz

different downloads

Post by langeryutz » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:43 pm

I want to illustrate a situation the truly confuses me. A friend & myself both have the newest version V2.3 beta 1, the same server as well as agent from Forte. We always have had.
The question: we get different movie downloads using the same criteria which is confounding to say the least. E.g., yesterday he got a new download of 2 movies which have not shown up on my downloads. How can this be? :(

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:47 pm

I dont follow your question.

Do you mean in the headers ?

langeryutz

Post by langeryutz » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:00 pm

yes, I mean the headers. We both use dvd, dvd-r, dvd-rs. Yesterday, for instance, he received 2 movies that never showed up in my headers. If everything is the same between us why should we not get the exact same headers for downloads?

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:06 pm

Quite strange, It looks like its your news providor which might not be indexing as many headers as your friends but since they are the same.. I have no idea.

If you have low retention then the articles will expire if you dont update enough

langeryutz

Post by langeryutz » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:11 pm

thanx for ur effort...I have 20 day retention so that's not the case. I don't get it either. I have another friend here who use all the same stuff but comes through cable, he also gets different headers that I but thatI can understand. We all do get a lot of the same stuff but the issue is that when they get different then me, again, i don't get it.
Have a peaceful day. :D

mudone11

Re: different downloads

Post by mudone11 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:14 pm

langeryutz wrote:I want to illustrate a situation the truly confuses me. A friend & myself both have the newest version V2.3 beta 1, the same server as well as agent from Forte. We always have had.
The question: we get different movie downloads using the same criteria which is confounding to say the least. E.g., yesterday he got a new download of 2 movies which have not shown up on my downloads. How can this be? :(
Maybe you use a different configuration of nl. regarding the age of headers to be deleted by nl. You can change the days to keep downloaded headers in the configurations menu.

Cheers Mudone.
Be yourself, there are enough other people!

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:30 pm

Try messing around a bit with the filters in the active group window, you might be filtering something. Are you using the kill filter (options->filters)? Ifo so, you might be filtering out the subject or the poster.
Also, are you sure you've downloaded all the headers? If you set to download only x headers at a group update and it had been a while since the last group update you might have missed some stuff.

Try to find out if you're missing posts, or if you're just missing a section of the headers (you could do some by checking if you're also missing files that were posted at the same time as the missing files).

langeryutz

Post by langeryutz » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:05 pm

I have no filters viable...I take it all. I update daily and X my first of 6 desiganations(dvd,dvdr etc.) and when the downloading commences I then check the rest of the boxes to follow suit and go about doing other stuff untill all the dfownloads finish. For the sake of a brief example; my buddy yesterday got a new download fo el maquinista(the machinest) as well as the beginning of Ms. congeniality 2 and at this point I have neither. I have supersearched and slowly looked through the entire dvdr + others and nada.
Hey, y'all, thanx for the help & suggestions and trying.I loves my NL .... :lol:

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:33 pm

langeryutz wrote:I have no filters viable...I take it all. I update daily and X my first of 6 desiganations(dvd,dvdr etc.) and when the downloading commences I then check the rest of the boxes to follow suit and go about doing other stuff untill all the dfownloads finish. For the sake of a brief example; my buddy yesterday got a new download fo el maquinista(the machinest) as well as the beginning of Ms. congeniality 2 and at this point I have neither. I have supersearched and slowly looked through the entire dvdr + others and nada.
Hey, y'all, thanx for the help & suggestions and trying.I loves my NL .... :lol:
SSearch shows the subjects you mention from 4/26/05 in boneless and e.b.misc. These should have shown in your SSearch results. Make sure that the result filter is empty.
Using Super Search has nothing to do with your newsservers, as SSearch does not search your servers.

What newsservers are you using? And your friend is using the exact same servers?

--
Lips

cbc

Post by cbc » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:37 pm

maybe you can ask your friend for the subject header wording & do a SuperSearch on it? I know it doesn't fix your prob, but at least you can get the downloads you wanted. You are both on cable, or just him?

langeryutz

Post by langeryutz » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:33 pm

We both use the same servers..our local newsgroup of commspeed as well as Forte for additional download sources. I am a little confused regarding boneless & e.b. misc, are these alt binary groups? How do i make sure that the result filter is empty? I am a little slow.. :D

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:43 pm

On active group, click text search and number search, remove everything which is in the filter fields then unclick them both, also make sure you have got binaries and non binaries ticked, and incomplete :)

langeryutz

Post by langeryutz » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:16 pm

okay...u got me...I see number search and text search but where are the filter fields and how do i remove everything? I did click them but failed to see anything allowing me to clear!

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:21 pm

langeryutz wrote:We both use the same servers..our local newsgroup of commspeed as well as Forte for additional download sources. I am a little confused regarding boneless & e.b. misc, are these alt binary groups? How do i make sure that the result filter is empty? I am a little slow.. :D
If there is text In the "Result Filter" in the Super Seach window, simply double click in filter box to clear it. The same goes for the filter boxes in the Active group window.
The groups that showed in the results when SSearch'd: alt.binaries.boneless and es.binarios.misc.
I searched again, this time further back. El Maquinista shows in a.b.dvdr (from 4/16/05 back to 4/4/05, but I didn't go further back).
The El Maquinista posts from 4/26/05 were not crossposted to the dvd groups mentioned.

langeryutz, are you getting headers from APN?
ask your friend which groups the posts were found in.
Also, be aware that there was a problem with incompletes on APN. Check their support page.

--
Lips

langeryutz

Post by langeryutz » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:34 pm

Yes, APN. I wrote them an email about incompletes yesterday and they got baqck to me this a.m. saying they fixed the problem and iot sems better now. Thanx for ur help..I printed out ur last response and going to attempt to follow ur instructions....:-(!!