205 Closing connection - goodbye

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

PPJM

205 Closing connection - goodbye

Post by PPJM »

At the moment I can't connect for 3 hours

This is the message:

5/2/2005 8:05:22 PM Unable to connect / authenticate server: Usenet (205 Closing connection - goodbye).

Can somebody tell what it can be.

Thx in advance

PPJM

lakofka

Post by lakofka »

Is that usenet as in usenetserver.com? If so, I'm getting the same problem at the moment. Their site says that some servers are down for maintenance. It's a pity I upgraded to 2.1 at the time because I've been blaming that, then I tried OE and I get a similar response...

salami
Forum Moderator

Post by salami »

errorcode 205 is usually the code the server sends you after the client has sent the QUIT command. since this should never be the case during the connection, it might be a problem with your provider (please post some more information on your NNTP provider) or a local antivirus/firewall software (please post some more information on your antivirus/firewall software).

PPJM

RE:

Post by PPJM »

Strange thing is that I was downloading the whole day, and at 05.00pm i got this message.
Since then and till now it is still the same message

I'm running a Windows Xp machine with McAfee Virusscanner
I had never this message before, no problems with Port 119

PPJM

Repons Usenet

Post by PPJM »

We are having an emergency outage at the moment in order to help catch up articles that have fallen behind and to rebuild a storage array. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may be causing you at this time, and thank you for your patience while we work to resolve this issue as fast as posible.

You can keep upto date on the status here. http://www.usenetserver.com/networkstatus.html

PPJM

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

salami wrote:errorcode 205 is usually the code the server sends you after the client has sent the QUIT command. since this should never be the case during the connection, it might be a problem with your provider (please post some more information on your NNTP provider) or a local antivirus/firewall software (please post some more information on your antivirus/firewall software).
I believe NL is reporting this error, not UNS. I have noticed that when a server cannot be reached and that there is *not* any communication with the server, NL reports "205 Closing Connection Goodbye". I would expect to see a 10061 connection refused error.

--
Lips

Thlian

Post by Thlian »

This is some of what I get

04.05.2005 06:21:18 Unable to connect / authenticate server: news. usenetserver.com ().
04.05.2005 06:21:18 Unable to connect / authenticate server: news. usenetserver.com ().
04.05.2005 06:21:18 Unable to connect / authenticate server: news.usenetserver.com ().
04.05.2005 06:21:18 Unable to connect / authenticate server: news.usenetserver.com ().
04.05.2005 06:26:22 Unable to connect / authenticate server: news. usenetserver.com (205 Closing connection - goodbye).
04.05.2005 06:26:22 Unable to connect / authenticate server: news. usenetserver.com (205 Closing connection - goodbye).
04.05.2005 06:26:22 Unable to connect / authenticate server: news.usenetserver.com (205 Closing connection - goodbye).
Me like nice stuff, me can`t afford!
Me don`t care....

Plevier

Post by Plevier »

I have the same problem voor 6 hours

what can I do to fix it?

patrykgot

Post by patrykgot »

I'm having this problem for a couple of days now. Don't know what to do...
UNS had some problems but after that i still cannot connect.

PPJM

Reply UND Support Team

Post by PPJM »

We are going to have an emergency outage for the next several hours in order to speed up an array rebuild in one of our storage tanks. We will be caching new articles so there will not be any data loss. Please check with the network
status page as we are keeping everyone updated on the status of the service there.

Your UNS Support-Team

pka4916

Post by pka4916 »

same problem here.. this is the 2nd day now with Usenet..
and trying to catch up my downloads... so far they are all gone from the server.... have to wait another 6 hours and they should be back on track..... I hope....

and yes... a announcement by e-mail would be great... and not digging on their website to find out...
I am sure they are stating that if there was something going on, they would send you a e-mail... so far that never happened.

eekamouse

Post by eekamouse »

I have the same problem

"205 is caused by a newsleecher bug. You can try using a different reader or you can try setting your reconnect time down to one minute.Your UNS Support-Team"

Thats the awnser i got from uns support

* all ready had reconnect time on 10 seconds and if ur patient enuff it will reconnect but then the feeds hang at 98% ... reset feed and i get 205 error or 40# to many connections

riesg

Post by riesg »

Check the other threat, more people are having this problem.

My guess that its a Usenetserver as I have it on 3 usenetservers but no error on my ISP news server. :?

salami
Forum Moderator

Post by salami »

Lips wrote: I believe NL is reporting this error, not UNS. I have noticed that when a server cannot be reached and that there is *not* any communication with the server, NL reports "205 Closing Connection Goodbye". I would expect to see a 10061 connection refused error.
the latest beta versions now show the real response code from the server when NL is unable to authenticate. i requested this feature exactly for those situations: now you can be sure NL can connect and it's most likely a problem with the NSP.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

salami wrote:
Lips wrote:I believe NL is reporting this error, not UNS. I have noticed that when a server cannot be reached and that there is *not* any communication with the server, NL reports "205 Closing Connection Goodbye". I would expect to see a 10061 connection refused error.
the latest beta versions now show the real response code from the server when NL is unable to authenticate.
No, not necessarily with 205 errors. If the 205 is sent by the server I guess NL will report it. However, as I said in my above statement, NL will report the 205 error even if there is absolutely no communication with the server. I can reproduce this consistantly by simply disabling my net connection.
So, in the case where UNS was not allowing connections, it is uncertain if the 205 came from UNS or NL. In the past when I've tested this, during my 3 day trial of UNS when they were also having problems, when a 205 was reported by NL, Xnews reported what IMO was the proper 10061 connection refused error.
If the bug does not get acknowledged here, I'll post to the bugs forum later when I get back to my pc.
salami wrote:i requested this feature exactly for those situations: now you can be sure NL can connect and it's most likely a problem with the NSP.
There was clearly a problem with UNS recently. So, whether or not the 205 came from UNS or not, the problem was and possibly still is on the server side for the more recent posts about connection problems to UNS.

--
Lips