queued

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

rihout

Post by rihout » Sun May 08, 2005 10:35 pm

this is a little too technical 4 me.... i have a Dell desktop with everthing standard. a intel processor 2.8 gHz that's all i know. I am downloading from a usenet newsserver i think (i have a dutch wanadoo account). I've turned on the file logging and this the result:

8-5-2005 22:37:46 Failed downloading article part# 46 of "Ellebel post FTD# 382146 [062/184] - "fransmeisje.part061.rar" yEnc" from server "wanadoo".
8-5-2005 22:37:46 * Server response: "430 No such article". Part Msg ID: "part46of105.zUFH1MCme0mVtYJZwZJR@powerpost2000AA.locald5kh7a$gid$295@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl".

every file that has been queued shows one or more of those errors. This seems odd, because if i use supersearch the files seem to be complete!

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Sun May 08, 2005 11:15 pm

The problem looks to be like your wanadoo newserver has got bad completion :(

The reason supersearch will show them as complete is because it gets its headers from giganews which has suberb retention and completion over 99% and it sends those headers to your pc, however it leeches them off your news provider which might not have those file parts.

Im afraid if you want the complete file there is not much you can do afaik if it doesent exist on thier server.

Try downloading thier headers manually to take a look how thier completion is doing

dNixx

Post by dNixx » Mon May 09, 2005 12:45 am

Lips - On the hardware - I changed out 80gb to 120gb as primary. Both were Western Digitals. Added 2x250 gb Western Digitals raided 0 as primary storage (replaced 2x120 gb western digitals). On the OS - Went from WinXP Pro sp1 to WinXP Pro sp2. Might be the sp2 that's causing me this problem. But i'll try to update the NIC driver and see if that works. Thanks!

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Tue May 10, 2005 3:07 am

rihout wrote:8-5-2005 22:37:46 Failed downloading article part# 46 of "Ellebel post FTD# 382146 [062/184] - "fransmeisje.part061.rar" yEnc" from server "wanadoo".
8-5-2005 22:37:46 * Server response: "430 No such article". Part Msg ID: "part46of105.zUFH1MCme0mVtYJZwZJR@powerpost2000AA.locald5kh7a$gid$295@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl".
rihout - The server returned an invalid message-id. The server's message-id index might be corrupt.
Was the source of your headers for the download from the group's headers, nzb, or Super Search (you mention SSearch, but did you use the others)?
If you haven't already, get headers for the group and try to download one of the problem posts. As already pointed out, this will give you a good idea about the server's completion. If the completion is poor, you may want to consider purchasing an account with and premium NSP.
When you get the headers, you can see if the problem posts are showing as complete. You will also be able to check out the message-id for the article (part) shown above. I believe you will find that it is not the same as in the error message.

--
Lips

rihout

Post by rihout » Tue May 10, 2005 7:24 am

Lips wrote:
rihout wrote:8-5-2005 22:37:46 Failed downloading article part# 46 of "Ellebel post FTD# 382146 [062/184] - "fransmeisje.part061.rar" yEnc" from server "wanadoo".
rihout - The server returned an invalid message-id. The server's message-id index might be corrupt.
Was the source of your headers for the download from the group's headers, nzb, or Super Search (you mention SSearch, but did you use the others)?
If you haven't already, get headers for the group and try to download one of the problem posts. As already pointed out, this will give you a good idea about the server's completion. If the completion is poor, you may want to consider purchasing an account with and premium NSP.
When you get the headers, you can see if the problem posts are showing as complete. You will also be able to check out the message-id for the article (part) shown above. I believe you will find that it is not the same as in the error message.

--
Lips
With Wanadoo I rarely have problems with incomplete files, so i am surprised if this is the case. I don't have a SSearch license. I allways use nzb-files to download stuff.
Did NL change in handling the incomplete files? With the previous version, incomplete files were also stored on your HD, now they stay queued. A suggestion to the developers is, to add some addiotional code that handles files that cannot be found. So when the message-id is corrupt it still writes the rar file to your HD. Or mayby make this variable, so you can turn this on/off through the options menu.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Tue May 10, 2005 11:20 pm

rihout wrote:
Lips wrote:
With Wanadoo I rarely have problems with incomplete files, so i am surprised if this is the case. I don't have a SSearch license. I allways use nzb-files to download stuff.
Where did you get the nzb files? Take a look in the nzb file (Open With a text editor) and find the message-id for the above mentioned sample. What message-id does it show? AFA the posts being incomplete, again, check the group's headers.
rihout wrote:Did NL change in handling the incomplete files? With the previous version, incomplete files were also stored on your HD, now they stay queued.
As far as I know handling of incomplete files has not changed! :shock: :?
Incomplete files are or at least should be saved to the hard drive. Make sure that you have disabled "Options | Download | Never Download Incompletes".
The strange thing here is that your downloads are "hanging" in the Queue. I can only reproduce this behavior by making sure that NL cannot connect to an active server.
Another known time this problem occurs is the strange problem with Asus motherboards with the onboard NIC in use while accessing Giganews (USA servers).
rihout wrote:A suggestion to the developers is, to add some addiotional code that handles files that cannot be found. So when the message-id is corrupt it still writes the rar file to your HD. Or mayby make this variable, so you can turn this on/off through the options menu.
Agreed. Better handling of incomplete multipart posts is exactly what is needed.

--
Lips

Gringo

Post by Gringo » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:26 pm

Smudge wrote:You could manually move and join the segments NL has downloaded. They are stored in the Newsleecher\data\temp\{parts}\(dynamic dir name)\BIN\. You can join these segments with any number of join utilities (I prefer File Split Stream), then use the par2 files to recover the missing segments. (Depending on the size of the segments and the size of the par2 blocks, you might not even need to join them. This is a rarity though. Very few people make the par2 block the same size as the article segment.)
*Phew*.. You saved me with that! Thanks for you help. I used the tool and managed to create the files manually with only the last part missing (fixed it with QuickPar)
I hope NewsLeecher can do this for me in the future! :D

raptorsoft2000

Post by raptorsoft2000 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:18 pm

Sorry to post about the same thing twice, but this is a thread concerning the same problem I'm having... Downloading up to like 90-100% and then being "queued" again.