I want to use an external NFO file viewer

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

mickblu

I want to use an external NFO file viewer

Post by mickblu »

Newsleecher uses Notepad by default as the NFO file viewer. The shareware program NFODIZ does a far better job of viewing these files 'cos it can be set to use the appropriate font (Lucida Console ANSI) to make all the textual graphics look their best. Yes, I know I can do the same with Notepad, but I prefer using a tailor-made program over a generic editor any day.

So, my question is, can Newsleecher be configured to use an external program for reading NFO files? Or, better yet, could Newsleecher have its own internal viewer that does the whole job?

cheezhed

Post by cheezhed »

I use DAMN NFO Viewer and it opens all .nfo files from Newsleecher.

Just make sure the app you use is associated with .nfo files.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

NewsLeecher simply downloads the file and passes it to Windows to open with the associated application for .nfo files. You would need to change the file extension association for .nfo files to open with NFODIZ instead of Notepad.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

mickblu

Post by mickblu »

That was my thought too, but I do have NFO files associated with the DAMN viewer, and in Explorer that is what happens, the DAMN viewer opens all NFO files simply by double-clicking, yet in Newsleecher, I get Notepad used instead - hence my confusion.

Any thoughts?

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Strange problem. Try removing the association (Tools>Folder Options>File Type) the setting it up again. If DAMN NFO viewer has the ability to setup the association itself then simply delete the association and let DAMN NFO recreate it.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

mick_blu wrote:That was my thought too, but I do have NFO files associated with the DAMN viewer, and in Explorer that is what happens, the DAMN viewer opens all NFO files simply by double-clicking, yet in Newsleecher, I get Notepad used instead - hence my confusion.

Any thoughts?
Something is setup incorrectly on your system then. I have mine associated with DAMN and they open up correctly from within NL. You could try deleting the file association in Windows and then reinstall DAMN. That should re-add the association.

techfuzz

T2k

Post by T2k »

And if we are at it, I cannot download some files:

Code: Select all

1/2/2006 12:59:14 AM  * Article skipped. Either text-only or unknown encoded article format: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX "xxxx.nfo" yEnc  - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
What should I do?
_________

by T2k!

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

T2k wrote:And if we are at it, I cannot download some files:

1/2/2006 12:59:14 AM  * Article skipped. Either text-only or unknown encoded article format: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX "xxxx.nfo" yEnc  - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
What should I do?
Download the article as raw text and then find a third-party decoder that handles the type of article it was encoded as. NL only decodes yEnc articles so that article must be something like such as BM or Base64 encoded.

techfuzz

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

techfuzz wrote:
T2k wrote:And if we are at it, I cannot download some files:

What should I do?
Download the article as raw text and then find a third-party decoder that handles the type of article it was encoded as. NL only decodes yEnc articles so that article must be something like such as BM or Base64 encoded.

techfuzz
According to the subject line you quoted it was encoded in yEnc.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

Red Dwarf wrote:According to the subject line you quoted it was encoded in yEnc.
But considering anything can be put into the subject line by the person who posted the article, don't believe everything you read. If you'd like T2k, PM me the details of the file you are trying to download and I'll take a look at it for you.

techfuzz

mickblu

Thank you all - problem solved

Post by mickblu »

I tried everything, including deleting and resetting the association, to no avail. However, ater I downloaded the latest version of DAMN (2.1 RC3) it worked just dandy. Weird - must have somehow corrupted my old(er) one - v2.1.003

Thanks for all the help guys - I appreciate it!