headers

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

pointone

headers

Post by pointone » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:20 pm

ive downloaded header(loads for hdtv but when i come to use newleech again most of them are gone do i need to do somthing one i download a newsgroup so th headers stay

thanks for any help

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:23 pm

Do you have 'only new' checkmarked in the Browse Groups tab? That might be the cause. Is 'Disable Group Caching' still disabled in options? If it is enabled your headers won't be kept between updates.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

pointone

Post by pointone » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:26 pm

niether are checked when i close it down and then go back to it l8r most of the headers are gone

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:37 pm

Most, not all? How old are the oldest headers? By default newsleecher keeps only 7 days worth of headers.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:16 am

Red Dwarf wrote:Most, not all? How old are the oldest headers? By default newsleecher keeps only 7 days worth of headers.
pointone -

Set this option to which RD refers, which is in “Options | Download | Group Caching | Days To Keep | Group Headers”, to the number of days that you would like NL to keep messages. Maybe set this to just over the highest retention available to you.

Edit: Good grief! What did I say????? I changed what I wrote (not the content) to actually resemble English.

--
Lips
Last edited by Lips on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I_B_Phreakin

Post by I_B_Phreakin » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:58 am

I just got Newsleecher, and I've had the same problem. Won't keep the headers. I had it with the trial version , but I thought it was an abberation, because I used this program before for a
good while and it worked great. I went to this over my old Newsrover, because that program can't handle big groups.
I do love the with it compreses threads into +Filename though.
Anyhoo, I can't use Newsleecher if it won't hold the headers.
One thing... OK, don't shoot me, but I used to use a bootleg version. Could that mess it up ? I hope not, I'm on disability and it took me a while just to get enough money aside to buy Newsleecher.
I_B_Phreakin
Howdy

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:22 pm

You could have a filter enabled to hide old headers from view. Untick the Only New option and see if the older ones reappear. Otherwise you've likely set them to either not be cached at all or expire within a couple days. Both of these can be found under the Options dialog.

techfuzz

I_B_Phreakin

Headers Better

Post by I_B_Phreakin » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:03 am

Well, I got it to working. Wasn't the filter. Don't forget, I had a
"version" for several months before I had enough money actually buy the program. I was used to using it.
The problem was something in the Registry. I usually use it on my old computer which is hooked to the TV. I also have a refurbished Dell I got last Christmas, so I tried it on that. Worked fine. So on the older computer I uninstalled, and took every thing I could named Newsleecher out of the Registry. And every mention of NewsRover while I was at it. I reinstalled in the same place, D drive, and it works fine now. Either a problem with one version over another, or something to do with having once used a bootleg. But now that it works, I'm glad I had enough money left after rent to finally get it.
I_B_Phreakin
Howdy