save download file automatically in case of crash?

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

cornz

save download file automatically in case of crash?

Post by cornz »

:?: Ok, heres the scenario. Ive queued up a weeks worth of downloading, all the files are set to download by age so theyre all mixed up and the PC crashed bad... So reboot it but my download list has gone, its reverted back to some other list from weeks ago.
So, is there a "download list auto file save". A bit like Words' autosave facility??? So it saves the queue of files to be downloaded every time its changed or say every 10 minutes so you dont have to trawl through all your files finding out which ones downloaded and which ones didnt.

:idea: If not, please consider one....
Cornz.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Re: save download file automatically in case of crash?

Post by Lips »

cornz wrote:So, is there a "download list auto file save". A bit like Words' autosave facility??? So it saves the queue of files to be downloaded every time its changed or say every 10 minutes so you dont have to trawl through all your files finding out which ones downloaded and which ones didnt.
Enable "Options | Advanced | Automatic Data Backups". This will save the Queue and the downloaded articles cache once per minute.

--
Lips

theprimal

Re:

Post by theprimal »

Well, that isn't worth much if your computer crashes. In my case my computer crashes quite often due to a driver issue I can't solve.
When my computer crashes scandisk runs next boot-up "correcting" NL-files resulting in the queue-file being deleted. If I skip scandisk NL can't load the download-list (cache corrupt) and starts up with a blank queue - much to much delight :evil:
The only thing I can do is: Pressing CRTL+A in the queue and exporting everything to a NZB. The next time the computer crashes I just have to import the NZB and save a lot of time.
Thing is: I'm human so I tend to forget. It can happen I don't save my queue to a NZB and so I'm screwed.
I requested an autosave-function with a "save autosave" (which isn't affected by a crash since it isn't in use while the computer is crashing) several times before. The answer is always the same Lips just gave. Which doesn't help (me). :cry:
Hopefully someone did understand what I was trying to explain and supports me ;)
CU Primal
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

But "Automatic Data Backups" is exactly what you asked for in the first place. It saves a backup of the queue to disk in case your computer does crash. If the backup file is being corrupted by your computer during the crash, there isn't anything that can be done about it except fix your computer.

techfuzz

theprimal

Post by theprimal »

techfuzz wrote:But "Automatic Data Backups" is exactly what you asked for in the first place. It saves a backup of the queue to disk in case your computer does crash. If the backup file is being corrupted by your computer during the crash, there isn't anything that can be done about it except fix your computer.

techfuzz
Well, that's rather strange. How come the file isn't accessible? After a crash there are only 4-5 files that scandisk messes with. All have to do with NL. Normally 3-4 temp-files and !!default!!.nc1 (which is my download-list I believe). I also thought this is the backup-file generated by NL by turning on "Automatic Data Backups". Since scandisk only messes with files which were in use when the computer crashed this file seems to be always loaded. My NZB-file isn't, so it isn't affected by scandisk. So in my eyes both files aren't the same.
On a sidenote: Via "Tools" --> "Queue Manager" --> "Load" I should be able to load my backup-queue (!!default!!), shouldn't I? But it's not displayed there...
Thanks, CU Primal
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

techfuzz wrote:
theprimal wrote:[snip]Hopefully someone did understand what I was trying to explain and supports me
But "Automatic Data Backups" is exactly what you asked for in the first place. It saves a backup of the queue to disk in case your computer does crash.
It was the OP in this thread, cornz, who did ask this question. (note: I added the above quote, as it seems to me techfuzz is responding to theprimal.)
techfuzz wrote:If the backup file is being corrupted by your computer during the crash, there isn't anything that can be done about it except fix your computer.
No question that the system needs to be fixed.
theprimal wrote:After a crash there are only 4-5 files that scandisk messes with. All have to do with NL. Normally 3-4 temp-files and !!default!!.nc1 (which is my download-list I believe). I also thought this is the backup-file generated by NL by turning on "Automatic Data Backups".
Well, yes and no. The Queue is saved to the current Queue file. It is not a back-up Queue. It seems to me you are asking for the Queue to be backed-up to a different file.
You are not alone. It has been requested a number of times in the past. There was a discussion of the possibility of auto saving the Queue so that it alternates between backing-up to the current Queue and to a 2nd (back-up) Queue (this was instigated by dwazegek a while back).

--
Lips

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

Lips wrote:(this was instigated by dwazegek a while back).
Ooh, yeah. Credit where credit's due 8)

Anyway, the queue file should only get corrupted if the computer crashes while the queue is being written. With automatic data backups it's written about once a minute, so it's shouldn't get corrupted too often. I had an issue with a faulty PSU a while back which caused very frequent, random crashes and only got a corrupted queue about once every 10-20 crashes. As far as I can tell from your posts you seem to be getting corrupted queues after every crash, this could either mean that lady luck really doesn't like you, or that the crashes somehow coincide with writing of the queue.

You mentioned something about a driver issue, isn't there any possibility of using a different driver version, or a different driver altogether, or removing the hardware from your system?
Forum's Grammar Nazi:
I will hunt you down if you don't lose the extra o.

theprimal

Post by theprimal »

Well, WinXP's crash-log isn't clear on what driver or what device caused the crash. It's a file similar to vn5a8sx.asx causing an error. I did some research and appearently it has something to do with a WDM-driver. The only device using a WDM-driver would be my Digital-TV-card. A week ago I installed the newest version available and didn't have a crash for three days. Happy I solved the problem I let NL run over night only to wake up to a bluescreen and a problem with that exact file :cry:
All that is left for me to do is remove the device, but then I'm no longer able to record TV. Furthermore I really wonder why a driver conflicts with XP and causes a crash that isn't in use. My TV-card wasn't even on that last day...
Well, all this hardware-mumbo-jumbo is leaving me wishing there was a 2nd secure "external" backup of the queue file. Maybe only written every 10-20 minutes. With an option to turn it on and off, so nobody has to use it who doesn't need it :)
CU Primal

twosheds

Post by twosheds »

can I say I have a similar problem?
The following is the most recent occurrence, but it always happens to me.
Last night I returned to find an error message on screen. I reloaded NL and the queue reappeared, however the queue was not correct as most, if not all, of the files had been downloaded. When I reloaded it started getting the files again*.
The queue was around 100MB worth of files. Now I really wish I had a connection that allowed me to get 100MB in one minute.
*I've read that there is a problem with the skip already downloaded files feature.

eagle1

Post by eagle1 »

Hi!

I've a similar problem running NL v3.5b7 24/7 on a WXPSP2, 2Gig, AMD3800x2
machine:

Once in a while (maybe once a week) NL just hangs and I have to kill
it via taskmanager. Sometimes the DL queue gets corrupted and after
restart all my queued DL's are lost :x

As i've learned there is no 'real' automatic backup solution (using a
different file) for storing the DL queue information. As a workaround I
plan to backup the queue once a day...
Which file(s) do I have to backup?