NewsLeechers Handling of Retention

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

Icefreez

NewsLeechers Handling of Retention

Post by Icefreez »

NewsLeechers handling of Retention

I think this topic has been touched on before in various posts, and if there is a major post about this please direct me to it.

I have noticed over the versions that NewsLeecher always handles retention on servers with a fixed amount of days. Like its default 7 days before it considers headers to be not on the server anymore.

MY ISP provides me with amazing retention (for ISP its miracle) and groups like a.b.dvdr has retention for about 15 days. However there are smaller groups which have a much longer retention like a.b.great which stretches back almost as far as 4-5 months.

Are there any plans to have NewsLeecher know the retention for each group by asking the news server, instead of assuming a default cut off date for every group?

Are there any work-arounds to keep NewsLeecher from deleting headers which are still available on the news server?
I already know about the option to set my "Days to Keep.." option to 9999 to ensure I keep my headers.

I am open to hear all solutions, idea, or comments for you guys :)
- Icefreez

salami
Forum Moderator

Post by salami »

hi

good idea to start a new thread about this. we started to discuss this in the CPU bug thread: viewtopic.php?t=463

i don't know of any workaround except to keep all articles. it should however be possible to retrieve the date of the oldest article in a group, and implementing this would be pretty easy.

if this wasn't possible for some strange limitations in the NNTP protocol, i also mentioned a more complex way using only failed article requests.

every bot should retrieve this value each time it changes a group and only try to retrieve newer articles. this would reduce the CPU usage and the failed requests extremely.

using the same way, NL could delete articles from the current group by evaluating all bot's retention and choose the longest one. another nice feature would also be to mark all articles that aren't available on any P1 servers but are still available on lower priority server in a different color.

of course those features should be available as options, not the standard behaviour.

even though it sound like much work, it should be fairly simple to do (and would be VERY useful).

abc

Post by abc »

yeah i'm wondering about this... using easynews, newsbinpro, the articles in one group go from 4.10.04 down to like 3.01.04, and on newsleecher the same group gives 4.10.04 down to 3.31.04

why is that??? is this due to the trial version or some limitation?

Icefreez

Post by Icefreez »

I hope this feature gets added soon :) It would be very handy knowing if I can get older articles or not :P I guess now the old add to queue and find out if I can get them will have to do. :P

@abc
There are no limitations in the trial version only a restricted number of days you can use it.
- Icefreez

abc

Post by abc »

Icefreez wrote:I hope this feature gets added soon :) It would be very handy knowing if I can get older articles or not :P I guess now the old add to queue and find out if I can get them will have to do. :P

@abc
There are no limitations in the trial version only a restricted number of days you can use it.
none, thanks... then i dont know how to configure nleecher to dl all the headers then...!

salami
Forum Moderator

Post by salami »

there are 2 possibilities:

- you set the days to keep the headers to a low date. i think the default value is 7 days, you should set it to at least the value your provider offers.

- your provider does not provide a message-ID cache for all the header. NL uses a new technology which is much more intelligent and makes it that lightning fast. but on the downside, not all providers support it (properly) yet. ask your provider about their message-ID cache!