"Purge Group Cache" button

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.

Add a button on the Active Group tab to Purge & Reset (current selected group cache)

Poll ended at Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:02 pm

Yes, useful
100%
No, don't care for it
No votes

Total votes: 3

GekkeKoe

"Purge Group Cache" button

Post by GekkeKoe »

When I've headered a group and I don't expect to be needing it anytime in the near future, I'd like to save diskspace by tossing an entire group's cache -- instead of waiting for it to expire.

To do this as it is now, I have to make sure the group is Unloaded (or quit NL) then go to the Newsleecher\data\cacheV3\groups dir using Windows Explorer and manually delete the nc1 and nc2 files for the group in question -- otherwise these files will remain.

Would be nice if a simple button push would accomplish the same.

Thanks.
Last edited by GekkeKoe on Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

A workaround until your request is implemented is to switch to the group manager, right click on the group you want to clear, and select Reset Group from the Update Group menu. This will wipe out the header cache file and start to download the headers again. Quickly click on the stop or disconnect button and the header downloads will stop leaving you with few or none headers.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Re: "Purge Group Cache" button

Post by Lips »

GekkeKoe wrote:When I've headered a group and I don't expect to be needing it anytime in the near future, I'd like to save diskspace by tossing an entire group's cache -- instead of waiting for it to expire.

To do this as it is now, I have to make sure the group is Unloaded (or quit NL) then go to the Newsleecher\data\cacheV3\groups dir using Windows Explorer and manually delete the nc1 and nc2 files for the group in question -- otherwise these files will remain.

Would be nice if a simple button push would accomplish the same.

Thanks.
GekkeKoe -

Well, I guess a "clear cache" button could be included with group options if/when they will be able to be set per group, not globally.

AFA as the current reason that you are needing the option, aside from Smudge's suggestion, you could simply choose the group and unsubscribe. Maybe you wanted to leave it on the sub's list, but as you are not planning on using the group in the near future this might work for you. Actually, you can unsubscribe and the next time you start NL just subscribe to the group again if you want to see it on the sub'd list. Unsubscribing and resubscribing during the same NL session won't delete the group's cache.

--
Lips

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle »

Smudge wrote:A workaround until your request is implemented is to switch to the group manager, right click on the group you want to clear, and select Reset Group from the Update Group menu. This will wipe out the header cache file and start to download the headers again. Quickly click on the stop or disconnect button and the header downloads will stop leaving you with few or none headers.
That Reset Group thing really bothers me...who the heck told Newsleecher to start downloading headers immediately after reseting the group? Retarded behaviour imho... It doesn't even help to be offline, if you are Newsleecher decides, by itself, to go online and immediately start downloading

GekkeKoe

Post by GekkeKoe »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, both. I'll keep the workaround in mind for the time being, but would ofcourse still like a simple button push or menu command for this if possible.
Lips wrote:Well, I guess a "clear cache" button could be included with group options if/when they will be able to be set per group, not globally.
Yep, that was the idea. To clear&purge the group cache of the group currently selected in the Groups drop-down.
Lips wrote:AFA as the current reason that you are needing the option, aside from Smudge's suggestion, you could simply choose the group and unsubscribe. Maybe you wanted to leave it on the sub's list, but as you are not planning on using the group in the near future this might work for you. Actually, you can unsubscribe and the next time you start NL just subscribe to the group again if you want to see it on the sub'd list. Unsubscribing and resubscribing during the same NL session won't delete the group's cache.
Actually that wouldn't really suit me. The subscribed list is akin to a favorite list to me, so if I unsubscribe I might forget to subscribe again later, or forget about a particular group altogether, which would be a shame. Also, I might not header the group any time soon, but I may still use it for XPAT ocassionally. Thanks for the suggestion though. I didn't realize group cache was reset on unsubscribed groups upon restarting NL.
Scuttle wrote:That Reset Group thing really bothers me...who the heck told Newsleecher to start downloading headers immediately after reseting the group? Retarded behaviour imho... It doesn't even help to be offline, if you are Newsleecher decides, by itself, to go online and immediately start downloading
Have to say I agree that it's a bit inconspicuous.. wouldn't have thought "Reset group" meant "purge & re-header".

Thanks.
NARF!

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

I'll make a "purge cache" button available for the next release.

GekkeKoe

Post by GekkeKoe »

Excellent, thank you!
NARF!

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle »

Spiril wrote:I'll make a "purge cache" button available for the next release.
Next beta or next "numbered" release?

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Well... next release. Probably a beta.

GekkeKoe

Post by GekkeKoe »

2.1 Beta 3 - Released 06 Apr 2005
---------------------------------
<snip>
*: The 'reset group' feature will now delete the stored
group cache files *without* starting a new group update.
<snip>
Thanks for that. It has already proven useful.

I have a few more related suggestions on things that appear confusing to me..

1) as it is now, "Update Group" and "Reset Group" are both subitems of a "Update Group" menu. This seems rather confusing. Might make things more clear if they were just put on as main items instead of in a submenu. And even better if a button were placed on a toolbar (along with other group-related buttons) on the "Active Group" tab.

2) IMHO "Reset Group" is not the clearest of descriptions for clearing&purging group cache files (as I mentioned earlier).

3) the first 4 items on the "Groups" -> "Subscribed Groups" submenu are somewhat confusing when one is looking at any other tab than the Usenet Manager. This because you cannot see what group (subscribed or otherwise) is actually selected/highlighted inside the Usenet Manager tab, but those menu items ("Unsubscribe","Set Category","Update Group","Reset Group","New Header Count") still manipulate whatever is selected.

The very same goes for the "Searches", "Queues" and "More" ("Log Window") menus and sub-items.... they serve specific purposes as context menus when right-clicking items in various panels/tabs, but they actually make no sense as main menus that are continually accessable, especially not so when you are not looking at the affected tabs.

4) all items on the "Active Group" menu should be disabled when "No Group Selected", because they serve no purpose and only distract from the items/options that are available. This ties in with (3) and the other menus mentioned in (3).

It is my opinion (3) and (4) require a rethinking of the menus/menu-structures.

Thanks for reading.
NARF!

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

GekkeKoe wrote:
2.1 Beta 3 - Released 06 Apr 2005
---------------------------------
<snip>
*: The 'reset group' feature will now delete the stored
group cache files *without* starting a new group update.
<snip>
Thanks for that. It has already proven useful.
Ditto. I appreciate the changed behavior.
GekkeKoe wrote:I have a few more related suggestions on things that appear confusing to me..

1) as it is now, "Update Group" and "Reset Group" are both subitems of a "Update Group" menu. This seems rather confusing. Might make things more clear if they were just put on as main items instead of in a submenu. And even better if a button were placed on a toolbar (along with other group-related buttons) on the "Active Group" tab.
Agreed. As "Reset Group" is no longer forcing a group update it makes sense for this to be a main item and not under an Update submenu.
I don't see "Reset Group" as only useful for an Active Group. I wouldn't normally make a group active in order to Reset it. I prefer to see "Reset Group" remain on the context menu, so it can easily be chosen when right-clicking on a subscribed group. Hey, maybe a user might have the need to reset multiple groups at once, which would be easy using the context menu. Of course the button could be added to the Active Group in addition to the option remaining on the context menu. A button could also be placed in the Subscribed groups window.
GekkeKoe, I realize that you didn't ask for Reset Group to be removed from the context menu, but just wanted to be sure it didn't become an either/or choice of where to put "Reset Group".
GekkeKoe wrote:2) IMHO "Reset Group" is not the clearest of descriptions for clearing&purging group cache files (as I mentioned earlier).
I guess I find this a little clearer than you do. Not saying it is ideal. It's more than clearing & purging. It also *resets* the article number pointer back to the beginning of the group. So maybe "Reset Group & Purge Cache"?
GekkeKoe wrote:3) the first 4 items on the "Groups" -> "Subscribed Groups" submenu are somewhat confusing when one is looking at any other tab than the Usenet Manager. This because you cannot see what group (subscribed or otherwise) is actually selected/highlighted inside the Usenet Manager tab, but those menu items ("Unsubscribe","Set Category","Update Group","Reset Group","New Header Count") still manipulate whatever is selected.
Hmmmm...... Gotta think about this more. I never or at least rarely use these option from the Groups main menu. If I'm choosing these group specific actions I like to choose the group(s) in the Subscribed Groups window and use the context menu or the buttons available in that window. So I guess I'm at least partially agreeing with you and saying that it is safer to not use the Groups main menu for these actions. But, this is for me. Maybe other users have no problem with these menu items and will provide some input here.
GekkeKoe wrote:4) all items on the "Active Group" menu should be disabled when "No Group Selected", because they serve no purpose and only distract from the items/options that are available. This ties in with (3) and the other menus mentioned in (3).
Yup. Would make sense to gray-out the options if no group is active.

--
Lips

GekkeKoe

Post by GekkeKoe »

Lips wrote:
GekkeKoe wrote:I have a few more related suggestions on things that appear confusing to me..

Agreed. As "Reset Group" is no longer forcing a group update it makes sense for this to be a main item and not under an Update submenu.
I don't see "Reset Group" as only useful for an Active Group. I wouldn't normally make a group active in order to Reset it. I prefer to see "Reset Group" remain on the context menu, so it can easily be chosen when right-clicking on a subscribed group. Hey, maybe a user might have the need to reset multiple groups at once, which would be easy using the context menu. Of course the button could be added to the Active Group in addition to the option remaining on the context menu. A button could also be placed in the Subscribed groups window.
GekkeKoe, I realize that you didn't ask for Reset Group to be removed from the context menu, but just wanted to be sure it didn't become an either/or choice of where to put "Reset Group".
Yes, good point and like you say I would like to see both a button on the Active Tab group (enabled when a group is active) as well as a contextmenu option in the subscribed groups list.
Lips wrote:
GekkeKoe wrote:2) IMHO "Reset Group" is not the clearest of descriptions for clearing&purging group cache files (as I mentioned earlier).
I guess I find this a little clearer than you do. Not saying it is ideal. It's more than clearing & purging. It also *resets* the article number pointer back to the beginning of the group. So maybe "Reset Group & Purge Cache"?
Oh, I like it! "Reset Group & Purge Cache" is an excellent and clear description, much more so than simply "Reset Group". Indeed, I hadn't taken the article number reset into account. If it needs to be shorter for cosmetic purposes I guess "Reset & Purge" would do, as it's clear selecting this will affect the group you're at that moment right-clicking on.
Lips wrote:
GekkeKoe wrote:3) the first 4 items on the "Groups" -> "Subscribed Groups" submenu are somewhat confusing when one is looking at any other tab than the Usenet Manager. This because you cannot see what group (subscribed or otherwise) is actually selected/highlighted inside the Usenet Manager tab, but those menu items ("Unsubscribe","Set Category","Update Group","Reset Group","New Header Count") still manipulate whatever is selected.
Hmmmm...... Gotta think about this more. I never or at least rarely use these option from the Groups main menu. If I'm choosing these group specific actions I like to choose the group(s) in the Subscribed Groups window and use the context menu or the buttons available in that window. So I guess I'm at least partially agreeing with you and saying that it is safer to not use the Groups main menu for these actions. But, this is for me. Maybe other users have no problem with these menu items and will provide some input here.
Think about it, it's not a typical Windows GUI behavior to affect selected items via menus, when the aforementioned items are out of sight/view (hidden on another tab). Were NewsLeecher a SDI-based application without tabs, then it would be more similar to e.g. Windows Explorer, where the "File" menu changes based on your current file/folder selection. But then, in this example, your selection is always visible in Windows Explorer and there's no mistake as to what the menu cmds affect. That's my point basically.

I guess it would all make more sense if these different (aforementioned) menus were simply hidden/unhidden based on what tab you're on. So, basically, if you're on the Active Group tab you will see in the menu bar:
File/View/Active Group/Tools/Help/Options

when you're on the Usenet Manager tab, the menu bar displays:
File/View/Servers/Groups/Tools/Help/Options

when you're on the Log tab it shows:
File/View/More (or better yet "Log")/Tools/Help/Options

etc..

So long as the location of these hidden/visible menus is the same - between "File/View" and "Tools/Help/Options" - it'd be alright. Because you don't want menus jumping around the place, but this way it'll seem like one or two menus that simply change caption/contents (I've seen it like this in several apps).

It's just an idea.
Lips wrote:
GekkeKoe wrote:4) all items on the "Active Group" menu should be disabled when "No Group Selected", because they serve no purpose and only distract from the items/options that are available. This ties in with (3) and the other menus mentioned in (3).
Yup. Would make sense to gray-out the options if no group is active.
And obviously this would still be valid as you can be on the Active Group tab, but with no group "active" (loaded).

Thanks for thinking with me, Lips. :wink:

I hope Spiril will find the time to give it a look.
NARF!

yknot

Post by yknot »

Bear with this new NL user as I don't have the exact vocabulary to explain my confusion. This may even be posted to the wrong area, but I don't have the vocabulary to even know where to place it. Apologies to all . . .

I have subscribed to several audiobook newsgroups. To learn what I was doing, before I tweaked too much, I concentrated on looking at 1700 days of posts in one group.

There were over 3,000,000 posts originally. I managed to get thru over 1,000,000, then made an oopsie. I deleted over a million and a half from the cache.

I didn't worry about it because I thought I would just download the repost version of that group, but when I updated that - out of over 3,000,000 supposedly in that group - there were only 68,000 available.

It is 'as if' the repost group compared itself to the original group and deleted everything I had deleted from the first group.

Am I right? Somehow are there default settings so that if I delete from the cache from one group, the same posts are deleted from the other groups I've opened?

I'll try to monitor for answers, but it's obvious I'm having trouble here. If I don't get back to you right away, it's not because I'm ignoring you - but I may not have seen your response.
Respectfully - Geezer