Feature Added B17! - Skip Download if File Exists Option.

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
daphatty
Forum Moderator

Feature Added B17! - Skip Download if File Exists Option.

Post by daphatty »

As pointed out in this thread, NL has the tendency to re-download files that have already been pulled after a crash has occurred. Such a situation could be avoided if an option to Skip Download if File Exists were added. All it would need to do is scan the Target Folder for the file name prior to initializing the download. If the file exists, skip it. I believe the scan is already done since NL knows how to rename duplicate files (copy of xxx) that are downloaded.

This is also useful for those of us who generously select files to download without seeing what we've already grabbed. :) The power of NL entices me to download just about everything. :lol:
Last edited by daphatty on Mon May 10, 2004 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Feature will be available in beta 17 or 18!

daphatty
Forum Moderator

Post by daphatty »

Spiril wrote:Feature will be available in beta 17 or 18!
YYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the crowd goes wild! :cheers:

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

Excellent!
Now, to take this a number of steps further..... I really do hope NL will someday be able to download the available segments of an incomplete multi-part bin file and then later be able to grab only newly arrived segments of that file until the file is ready to be "officially" save.
Sorry, Spiril, I couldn't resist. :) I just had to get this in, as it is a feature that I find to be very conspicuously missing from NL.

--
Lips

elite

Post by elite »

yes that is one feature that would really make it cool

daphatty
Forum Moderator

Post by daphatty »

We got a new checkbox folks! Look under download options. Woohoo!

Beano

Post by Beano »

Nice :)

One question though - how is "allready downloaded" detected ?

By the filename or actual content like NewsBin ?

daphatty
Forum Moderator

Post by daphatty »

Good question. I automatically assumed by filename. I'm not really sure what you mean by actual content since I've never used Newsbin

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Only checks the filename at the moment. I might include a binary-signature checking feature into a future release if there are enough votes for it.

Cheers

Beano

Post by Beano »

One vote here then :)

But not a high priority feature IMO...

beergeek

Post by beergeek »

hmm... in addition to the filename it should at least check size, too. Otherwise, some files will be filtered that should not be (like .nfo files with the same name. Some release groups do this).

Signature better, you've got my vote, too.

daphatty
Forum Moderator

Post by daphatty »

I don't think Spiril would exclude the file extention when checking for existing files. The extention is part of the filename.

Assuming that the complete filename is scanned, the only bug I can see occurring with the current setup is viewing replies to text posts. (RE: Blahblah.txt.) Unless someone changes the header name (which rarely happens) we may not be able to view/save these correctly.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

Got my vote.

--
Lips

beergeek

Post by beergeek »

Obviously extensions would be considered, that is part of the filename. I was talking about also looking at physical size, in bytes.

Example. The release group Orgasm submits all their .nfo files as "orgasm.nfo". If I pull three of their releases, then with the no duplicate feature enabled, I'll only have one .nfo file. If size is considered, too, it will see one file is 3638 bytes, another 4102 bytes and the third 2887 bytes and save the second two as "Copy of..." and "Copy (2) of..."

daphatty
Forum Moderator

Post by daphatty »

Doh! I misread your post. The whole ".nfo" file reference screwed with my brain functions...