Remember Settings After system crash

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
Ashoka

Remember Settings After system crash

Post by Ashoka »

One thing that really bugs me is that NL doesn't remember anything after a system crash (or power outage that lasts longer than my UPS' battery can accommodate).

If NL has been up and running for 3 days, and I have a bunch of BIG stuff in the queue (20-30 GB), and my power goes out longer than my UPS battery can handle (as often happens in Thailand), I lose everything in the queue, repair and extract becomes useless NL loses track of the other RAR parts (they no longer appear as 'Downloaded'). When I start up again, NL is back to how it was the last time it was launched - with the Super Search results from 3 days ago, everything.

This is a MAJOR flaw to the program - it's a program that a lot of people I'm sure many use for days on end downloading large file sets, and would benefit from this. I would think this would be a fairly easy thing to remedy?

-Ashoka

Michael Dracon

Post by Michael Dracon »

I agree. I also have it on for days at a time on my system here. A crash isn't good for such a situation.

It should be very easy to have NL save the settings in the background every once in a while.

TimothyGaray

Post by TimothyGaray »

Wow, exactly what I need as well.

Sometimes my system just simply locks up. After I reboot and open Newsleecher, it has forgotten the updated headers and the queue is full again. The worst being the loss of the queue or resetting the queue to what it was the last time I started Newsleecher. It just starts downloading all the same stuff all over again and filling up the drive.

-Tim
Michael Dracon wrote:I agree. I also have it on for days at a time on my system here. A crash isn't good for such a situation.

It should be very easy to have NL save the settings in the background every once in a while.

capntripz

Post by capntripz »

Mine acts like a brand new install and forgets EVERYTHING. Severs, groups subscribed, que, articles, the whole ball of wax. It does this on the install of every new beta. No exceptions and I guess I am just stupid enough to trust that this won't happen again. Usually it is alright after the first run, but not this time. Now it does it everytime I start up which is usually after it crashes. I would never close NL, letting it update every two hours, if it would keep running. Vista says it stopped and there is no way out. Vista is going to shut it down. Then we start all over again. And those little groups you discovered, well they are gone and who the heck remembers those. It would be nice to be able to print out your subscribed list for just that reason. 11 has elevated this problem as it never restarts with any of the modified settings. I wish I could get mine to run for longer than two days but it has never happened here. I am going to set up a machine just for NL and see if it will keep going, but I don't hold out much hope. If I didn't like the app so I would change in a heatbeat. I am already looking at Newsman Pro. I have been a loyal user of NL for years and I'm not sure I have ever run anything but a beta. Maybe that's it. Anyway, it is getting really old having to recover everything, everytime you update or now everytime you run it. That just inhales sharply.

OSJF

Post by OSJF »

I second that. It is very annoying to apply all settings again after app or system crash. Same goes for queued files.

gkar

Post by gkar »

agree happened to me too many times

Bigrabbit

Post by Bigrabbit »

Fully agree. I should be possible to put something in the Setup (Options) like "Autosave every 5, 10, 20 minutes".
I know it takes some time for an autosave, but when set at 15 minutes, I would be glad. Much better than creating a leechlist for 20 subjects just before I go to bed, and see the next morning that everything is lost, because of a hangup.

Mr_Durden

Post by Mr_Durden »

I would also like an "save batch" button. just that simple.

The opportunity to save the batch when i want,
and also an opportunity to set up auto save like every 5-10-15-20-30-60 min.

Then this would have been a complete and most enjoyable user experience.

I just purchased and are pretty pleased.

But the "save batch" button is a really important feature.

Bigrabbit

Post by Bigrabbit »

Great ! thanks for the quick solution in this :)

capntripz

Post by capntripz »

Solution? I see where it will do a backup every 15 minutes, but mine sill acts just as it always did. Nothing new or good here. Just begin again.

Capn.

defy

Post by defy »

Same problem here with Newsleecher forgetting EVERYTHING everytime I close it. No servers/queue, nothing.

Did anyone find a fix for this?

Stefan1971HH

Post by Stefan1971HH »

Same problem here. Extremely annoying. Pls fix this soon.

capntripz

Post by capntripz »

I see that beta 20 has a manner of choosing what files NL will use when it loads its configutation. Now if we could just figure out where all those files are or how we direct it to use files that we know the location of. I wouldn't know how to restore from backup as I don't know where the files are. And I have found, at least in Vista, that the files don't always end up where Smudge says they should be. It's likely that it has something with how I reloaded Newsleecher. I used to try and get it to install on another drive and keep it's files on another drive. No Good! Now I just follow the install prompts. Control over those variables and an uninstall routine that really got ALL of NL out would be nice. It must leave a bunch of registry stuff, because even if I delete all the files I can find, it will still remember things it should have no way of knowing. Then sometimes it can't remember a thing. I've gotten really used to starting over. :cry:

Capn.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

The configuration files will be in the default location or in an alternate location if you are using an ini file
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.