Why I'm still using NewsBin!

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
jamewoong

Why I'm still using NewsBin!

Post by jamewoong »

Okay, this is my review about this program with its concurrence newsbin. Actually, I'm still stick with newsbin and the reasons are listed below. Newsleecher is great, but there are few things to add if they want a customer like me. I will just add the cons of this program to improve it. If you guys think that some of my suggestions are already implented into Newsleecher lastest version, then please let me know. Review is based on the NewsLeecher 3.9 Beta 8 and NewsBin 5.35 Build 8142.

Newsleecher cons:

1. Cannot export the .NBZ file to the desired location.
Explanation: In the SuperSearch Service or in the queue, when we want to export the .NBZ file, the default path is the download folder. So, each time I want to open that .NBZ file, I always have to go to that location. It will be great if we can export that file to the location that we want (normally, all my .NBZ file is located in the destop for fast access).

2. File integration is wrong!
Explanation: When installing newsleecher, it will ask us if we want to make it as the default program for .nbz file. Even is we say NO, it will change the icon of the NBZ file to newsleecher (the green smile icon)! In the option (Download/NBZ File/NBZ Misc. Option), removing the "check" in Associated with NewsLecher or not, it won't have any effect! Is this a glitch? To remove the green icon, I'll need to do it in the Folder option of the Windows! Looks like NewsLeecher wants to make this file as its own! The reason is I don't want to assiocate the NBZ file with any program. It's too hard to see when you have lots of NBZ file (green smile color everywhere).

3. Start downloading when I ask to!
Explanation: After connection to a server, each time that I load up the NBZ file in queue manager, it's start downloading the file! It is possible to wait my command?!

4. Do not remove the file in the queue even if it's incomplete!
Explanation: Okay, we all know that when a file is incomplete, the problem could be from our news server, the NBZ file is not updated or the file is really incomplete. With NewsLeecher, when the file is incomplete, it will remove it from the queue or put it in CAP LETTERS - depending on what we choose in the option. Why not doing the same thing as newsbin: download all bin data and leave the file there in the queue to let us confirm if the file is really incomplete or not! If the file is really incomplete, then we can "assemble it" - there must be an option for this. I'm asking this because something, if the problem is from the servers or the NBZ file, then we will have to re-download those files! It's a wasted of bandwidth! Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't use "smart technology" as NewsBin: incomplete file will be store in the data folder (it will be remove if the file is completed or we remove it), so when we load up that file again, it will continu the job and seek for the incomplete part. With Newsleecher, when a file is downloaded, it is downloaded! So, if we want that file (incomplete file), it will restart to download it from the beginning. It's a wasted of bandwidth! Try it with 100 incomplete file and you'll feel what a pain is! Also, if we add a "check" in the "Never download incomplete file" in the option, this program will skip it and we will have to check what file is missing. This is not funny if the archive is divided in .rar and over 700 files! Seek! Seek! Seek!

5. May I edit/modify/disconnect a server when it is connecting???
Explanation: I don't know what's the purpose of this, but we always have to disconnect all servers if we want to do something with it. With Newsbin, when a server is connected, we can change it (delete it, switching to SSL mode, edit username, port...). Why NewsLeecher is not capable of doing this?

6. Show filename only.
Explanation: In the queue or in the supersearch, it displays the header + the filename. Something, the lenght is long enough that we don't know what it is... Is there a way to display the filename by "right click" and choose "Show Filenames" only just like in the Newsbin?

7. Stop button in the search.
Explanation: In the SuperSearch, sometime, a search take really long time to seek, so we want to abort it, but we can't!!! Where's the "Stop/Abort" button in the search option?

8. Start connecting and downloading when the program is loaded.
Explanation: If there's any file in the queue, start the download after I open the program... This option is useful is the cons #4 and #5 is fixed.

That's all for now! Everything stated above can be done with the lastest version of NewsBin!

--> NewsLeecher is like the new fresh Vista (people want to use it because of the beauty look) that have lot of features (mostly the SuperSearch), but still have bugs. It uses latest technologies, but how come some old stuff is not added (cons listed above)? Also, this program eats CPU! Use more CPU, less memory.

--> NewsBin is like Windows XP which is stable. The interface is classic. Also, this program eats memory! Use more memory, less CPU.

Good luck!

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

1. This has been requested and should be in a future version.

2. I couldn't reproduce this. I disabled the association option in NewsLeecher and since I did have the association set, I had to delete the NZB entry in the Folder Options. When I installed and started NewsLeecher again, it didn't associate to the NZB extension entry. Try disabling the option again, quit NewsLeecher then delete the NZB entry in the Folder Options again.

3. If you put it into the Download Queue and you have an active connection to the server, NewsLeecher will download what has been added to the queue. If you don't want to download yet, disconnect from the server.

If you are talking about automatically connecting when using the auto-import directory, you can disable the Auto Connect box in the Options>Download>NZB Files screen.

4. This has been discussed as well. I believe a future version (probably in the v4 series) will give you the option to leave incomplete files in the queue to try later or manually join to attempt a repair.

5. I believe this will be changed at some point as well. Not sure when though.

6. This is possible, at least in the 3.9b9 version I'm using. In the Options pulldown menu at the top of each page section has a Filename Only option you can enable.

7. This is being worked on right now.

8. This is a setting you can disable. In the Options>Advanced screen, uncheck "Auto Connect on Startup"
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

thany

Post by thany »

Also, this program eats CPU!
That's the one thing I fully agree on getting fixed ASAP. It's rediculous how slow NL can become when walking through a large virtual group. Just scrolling oftenly becomes so sluggish, that the listview fails to update itself when holding PgDn. Only when scrolling with the mouse the listview keeps updated. But come on, how would you explain the merely scrolling takes 100% CPU??

Even if - and that a BIG if - scrolling is so intensive on the CPU, at least use all of them. I'm not the only who has dualcore, and my next one will be a quadcore. So there.

Now make it FASTER.
Running Newsleecher 7.0 on Windows 10 x64, because 4.0 stopped working

daphatty
Forum Moderator

Post by daphatty »

Sorry but I felt your "review" was too long. I only brushed over it briefly. I would like to share my opinion on one point though.

If you think the CPU usage is too high, then you are probably running NL on the same computer you use for other, non-downloading tasks (i.e. Word, Websurfing). CPU usage isn't the only resource you have to contend with. There's also a RAM footprint as well as an impact on the Hard Drive. IMO, you should have a dedicated download machine for such purposes. Downloading files is a resource intensive activity, regardless of the application you are using.

sheepshagger

Post by sheepshagger »

Downloading files is a resource intensive activity, regardless of the application you are using.
total BS, downloading isnt a resource intensive task at all, the combining of the files can be but comparing newsbin to newsleecher when getting headers, newsbin uses less cpu time and activity

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

thany wrote:
Also, this program eats CPU!
That's the one thing I fully agree on getting fixed ASAP. It's rediculous how slow NL can become when walking through a large virtual group. Just scrolling oftenly becomes so sluggish, that the listview fails to update itself when holding PgDn. Only when scrolling with the mouse the listview keeps updated. But come on, how would you explain the merely scrolling takes 100% CPU??

Even if - and that a BIG if - scrolling is so intensive on the CPU, at least use all of them. I'm not the only who has dualcore, and my next one will be a quadcore. So there.

Now make it FASTER.
This is an issue I'm having too. I already mentioned it to Spiril to look into this, but so far, I haven't got an answer. Other users don't seem to have this problem. I use the mousewheel and my cpu spikes trough the roof.

Another thing that uses way too much cpu is the downloading itself. I know decoding takes some cpu usage, but not 100% on an AMD 3500+ cpu at a mere speed of ~1,5 MB/s. Due to this, I can't get my full speed even if I want to. NL is just too busy decoding the downloads, it has to drop the speed to keep up. Not to mention when I want to do something else, like watching a movie when NL is downloading. It's got nothing to do with my system, as a normal HTTP download will use much less (of course) (almost no use at al) cpu and I get my max speed without any problem.

Both issues need to be fixed in v4.
Fill in your bugs so NL will get better.